Flavorful chicken cutlets and a luscious tomato cream sauce cook in one skillet in about 30 minutes! Serve this Creamy Tomato Chicken over your favorite pasta for a satisfying Italian-inspired meal.
If you’re looking for more easy chicken skillet recipes, try my Chicken Pesto Pasta, Chicken Caprese, or Chicken and Spinach Skillet Pasta (a BIG reader favorite!)
This Creamy Tomato Chicken Skillet is not technically a one pot recipe since the pasta cooks separately, but the cleanup is still very easy and it cooks FAST! When you see this gorgeous meal on the table, you won’t believe it only took 30 minutes to make.
The key to the quick cooking method for the tender chicken is starting with thin-sliced chicken cutlets. While the pasta boils away in a separate pot, the chicken and creamy tomato sauce cook quickly in one skillet.
The irresistible tomato sauce is based on my Easy Tomato Cream Sauce recipe, but it’s amped up with even more Italian flavor.
Table of contents
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Chicken cutlets – Using thin-sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts speeds up the cooking time. If using regular boneless breasts, slice each piece through the middle to create two thin cutlets.
- Seasoning – Basil, garlic powder, crushed rosemary, salt and freshly ground black pepper. You can substitute fresh rosemary if you have it on hand. If you like a spicy sauce, add some red pepper flakes.
- All-purpose flour – The chicken cutlets are lightly dredged in seasoned flour before cooking. A little additional flour is used to thicken the sauce at the end of the cooking time.
- Diced onion – Either yellow or white onion.
- Minced garlic
- Tomato paste – Richens the color and flavor the creamy tomato sauce.
- Canned diced tomatoes – Diced tomatoes add texture and flavor!
- Low sodium chicken broth
- Half and half – This sauce is perfectly luscious with half and half, but you can substitute heavy cream for an even richer result.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh herbs – I like to garnish the chicken with a little fresh basil or parsley if I happen to have some in the fridge. Totally optional.
- Dry pasta – Penne, fusilli, spaghetti, or linguine are all great choices. If you are cutting carbs, you can skip the pasta altogether (see more serving suggestions below).
- Parmesan cheese – Optional, but I like to serve this with grated Parmesan cheese.
You can cut the thin-sliced chicken cutlets in half before cooking to help with portion control and to feed more people. Serve the chicken and sauce over pasta for a meal that will feed up to six people.
How to Make Creamy Tomato Chicken Skillet
Dredge and Cook the Chicken
- Combine basil, garlic powder, rosemary, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Combine 3 tablespoons flour with 1 tablespoon of the seasoning mixture in a shallow dish. Reserve the remaining seasoning mixture for later.
- Lightly dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour, shaking off the excess.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet (cast iron works great). Add the chicken and cook until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. You’ll most likely need to cook the chicken in batches. Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate and set it aside while you make the sauce.
Make the Creamy Tomato Sauce
- Add a little more olive oil to the skillet, add onion and cook and stir until softened. Add the minced garlic and cook, stirring for another minute.
- Stir the tomato paste into the mixture. Then, add the diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and reserved seasoning mixture to the skillet.
- Next, stir the remaining flour into the half and half and mix until smooth. Add the mixture to the skillet and bring the sauce to a simmer, stirring until slightly thickened. For a kick, sprinkle in some red pepper flakes (optional but we love the spice!).
- Return the chicken to the skillet and cook over low heat just until heated through.
- Pasta – This recipe makes plenty of sauce for both the chicken and to toss with your favorite cooked pasta. Any type of pasta from penne to linguine to cheese tortellini are all delicious with this sauce. Don’t forget the Parmesan!
- Low carb meal – If you’re watching your intake of carbs, skip the pasta and serve it with Garlic Parmesan Zucchini Noodles, Pesto Green Beans, or a simple Lemon Parmesan Salad. Eliminating the pasta brings the total carb count down to just 10 grams per serving.
- Meal prep – The chicken and sauce reheat beautifully for easy lunches through the week.
- Refrigerate – Transfer leftovers to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat gently in a skillet on the stove or in the microwave.
- Freeze – Transfer the chicken and sauce to a freezer-safe plastic storage bag, press out as much air as possible and seal the bag. Lay flat to freeze for up to 2 to 3 months. Thaw safely in the refrigerator before reheating.
Sign up for my free newsletter for all the latest recipes and join me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for more cooking inspiration!
Creamy Tomato Chicken Skillet
- 12 ounces dry pasta, like penne, fusilli, spaghetti, linguine
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried crushed rosemary
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 pounds thin-sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts, see recipe notes below
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil, or as needed
- ½ cup diced onion, yellow or white
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup half and half or heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste, optional
- grated Parmesan cheese, for serving, optional
- fresh basil or parsley, minced, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the basil, garlic powder, rosemary, salt and pepper and set aside. Place 3 tablespoons of flour in a shallow dish and add 1 tablespoon of the seasoning mixture. Reserve the remaining seasoning mixture for later.
- Coat the bottom of a large skillet with olive oil and place over MEDIUM-HIGH heat. Lightly dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour, shaking off the excess, and add it to the pan. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Cook in batches if necessary. Remove the chicken from the skillet and keep warm. Discard any remaining seasoned flour mixture.
- Add a little more olive oil to the skillet and return it to MEDIUM heat. Add the onion and cook and stir for about 3 minutes until softened. Add the minced garlic and cook, stirring for another minute. Stir the tomato paste into the skillet then add the diced tomatoes, broth, and the reserved seasoning mixture.
- Stir remaining 2 teaspoons flour into the half and half and mix until completely smooth. Add the mixture to the skillet. Bring the sauce to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Add the red pepper flakes (if using). Reduce heat to LOW, return the chicken to the skillet, and cook until heated through. Garnish with fresh herbs, if using.
- Serve the chicken and tomato sauce over the cooked pasta with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.