A double dose of chocolate together with Greek yogurt combine to make this a very special zucchini bread. It’s a decadant, yet wholesome delight!
I have a penchant for adding chocolate to things that you might not think call for chocolate. It worked so well with my Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bread, I had an inkling it was going to work just as well in zucchini bread. I’m happy to report that my inkling was on the money. The other component I felt was necessary was non-fat plain Greek yogurt. The stuff is just magical. It adds richness, great texture, and moisture to muffins and quick breads alike without any added fat.
Thankfully, zucchini are plentiful here pretty much all year round so I can bake up a loaf of this bread any time. I’ll be needing to do that again very soon.
We’ll skip the step-by-step cause it’s just so gosh darn easy to make quick bread but I wanted to pass along one tip. You’ll need to wash and shred a couple of zucchini for this recipe. To remove some of the excess liquid from the shredded zucchini, I place it between a double layer of paper towels, wrap it up, and squeeze away. A clean dish towel will work too. What you see above is freshly squeezed and ready to go. For the detailed instructions, jump on down to the printable recipe below.
The bread will need to bake about 60 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Towards the end of the baking time, give it a poke with a toothpick and if it comes out mostly clean, with a bit of melty chocolate from the chocolate chips clinging on, it’s time to come out of the oven.
Rustic, chocolaty, and downright irresistible.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini from 1 to 2 zucchini, gently packed
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously coat a 9" x 5" loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut off ends of unpeeled zucchini and shred, finely. Wrap shredded zucchini in a clean kitchen towel or double layer of paper towels and squeeze out excess moisture. Set aside.
- In large bowl beat eggs with an electric hand mixer. Add sugar and beat for a minute or two until completely combined. Pour in the oil, with beaters running, and then add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Using a wooden spoon, add dry mixture to the wet mixture in increments, alternating with the Greek yogurt, stirring after each addition. Stir in the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth surface evenly. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove the pan from oven and allow cool for about 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan and allow to cool completely before slicing.
If you like this bread, you’ll love these muffins that also include Greek yogurt as an ingredient.