A double dose of chocolate together with Greek yogurt combine to make this a very special zucchini bread. It’s a decadant, yet wholesome delight!
I have a penchant for adding chocolate to things that you might not think call for chocolate. It worked so well with my Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bread, I had an inkling it was going to work just as well in zucchini bread. I’m happy to report that my inkling was on the money. The other component I felt was necessary was non-fat plain Greek yogurt. The stuff is just magical. It adds richness, great texture, and moisture to muffins and quick breads alike without any added fat.
Thankfully, zucchini are plentiful here pretty much all year round so I can bake up a loaf of this bread any time. I’ll be needing to do that again very soon.
The bread will need to bake about 60 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Towards the end of the baking time, give it a poke with a toothpick and if it comes out mostly clean, with a bit of melty chocolate from the chocolate chips clinging on, it’s time to come out of the oven.
This bread bakes up big and beautiful. Allow it to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before turning it out onto a rack to cool completely.
Rustic, chocolaty, and downright irresistible.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini, from 1 good-sized or 2 small zucchini, gently packed (don't peel)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously coat a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In large bowl beat eggs with an electric hand mixer. Add sugar and beat for a minute or two until completely combined. Pour in the oil, with beaters running, and then add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Using a wooden spoon, add dry mixture to the wet mixture in increments, alternating with the Greek yogurt, stirring after each addition. Stir in the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth surface evenly. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove the pan from oven and allow cool for about 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan and allow to cool completely before slicing.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.
If you like this bread, you’ll love these muffins that also include Greek yogurt as an ingredient.
Questions and Reviews
So rich looking. I don’t think I’ll be able to stop at one piece!
Oh wow, that looks so good.
I`ve always wanted to make a chocolate zucchini dessert, but I never have zucchini in the house! This looks so good. I want a slice or two for breakfast.
Yum! Yum! Yum! The chocolate alone is awesome, but double chocolate. And healthy. Love it. I love zucchini bread, so I will be making this over the weekend. Mmmm
This looks like the PERFECT chocolate zucchini bread – so chocolaty and moist! I also love that you used nonfat Greek yogurt!
This bread looks crazy good! And I love adding zucchini to my chocolate recipes- makes them so moist and fudgy, plus I get to sneak some more veggies into my family’s diet. 😉 Pinned.
Thank you, Carrie!
DOUBLE chocolate?!? Count me in! This looks totally amazing!
OMG! This looks amazing! I’m drooling all over my keyboard.
Totally wishing I had a slice of this bread! I love any breads with zucchini in them! Yum!