This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This rich and creamy summer classic is a great dessert choice for your next summer gathering. Frozen Peanut Butter Pie is a slice of heaven on a warm summer evening.
I can’t wrap my head around the fact that summer is coming to end soon. Living in California it’s easy to pretend it’s still summer well past the official end date in September. But once those Back to School commercials start airing it kind of ruins the vibe.
Now that we no longer have school-age kids, our household calendar is a bit more free-form than the rigid school calendar mindset we had in this house for SO many years.
But still, those darned Back to School commercials….
I say we relish these last few weeks of long days and warm summer evenings. Even if your kids are heading back to school soon, you can still fire up the grill for an easy, relaxed dinner and make this incredible Freezer Peanut Butter Pie to rustle up some old-fashioned summer nostalgia.
Are you with me?
This pie is simply pure heaven on a plate. Super reminiscent of a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup in pie form.
How to Make Frozen Peanut Butter Pie
An Oreo crumb crust is filled with a no-bake, peanut butter-y filling and frozen for at least 6 hours or even better, make it a day ahead and freeze it overnight.
I recommend using Neufchatel (light) cream cheese for this pie. The peanut butter makes it plenty rich so you really don’t need full fat cream cheese.
When you’re ready to serve, add a layer of whipped topping and garnish the pie however you’d like. I like to add a sprinkle of chopped peanuts and some crushed Oreo’s.
The pie does not need to be covered when frozen. Return any leftovers to the freezer after you serve.
How to Make an Oreo Crumb Crust
There are a couple of ways to go with a chocolate Oreo crumb crust. You can simply freeze it before adding the filling or give it a quick run in the oven which is the method I prefer for this recipe. A baked crumb crust is crunchier and has a consistency that holds up a bit better when sliced.
Be sure to compact the crust down firmly into the bottom and sides of your pie dish before baking. I use the bottom of a clean mason jar and my fingers to accomplish this task.
Allow time for the crust to completely cool before adding the luscious filling.
Want to make this completely no-bake and a super-duper fast recipe? Pick up a ready made Oreo crumb crust at the grocery store. A homemade crust is out-of-this-world delicious but it’s summer man! Life should be easier.
More creamy summer dessert ideas:
Coconut Cream Lush | Amanda’s Cookin’
Creamy Peach Pie | Spend with Pennies
Lemon Strawberry Trifle | Mom on Timeout
Creamy Margarita Pretzel Bars | Saving Room for Dessert
Banana Pudding | Spaceships and Laser Beams
Frozen Peanut Butter Pie
For the Oreo Crumb Crust:
- 25 whole Oreo cookies
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
For the Peanut Butter Pie Filling:
- 4 ounces Neufchatel (light) cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces frozen whipped topping (thawed), divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped peanuts for garnish
- 1 or 2 crushed Oreos for garnish
Make the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the cookies in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely ground. Add melted butter and pulse again until the mixture is completely combined. Transfer crust mixture to a 9-inch pie plate and press it firmly down and up the sides with your fingers. You can press the bottom of a clean glass or jar on the bottom of the crust to help compact it down if you'd like.
- Bake the crust in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, until completely set and fragrant. Remove from oven and cool completely before filling.
Make the pie filling:
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, peanut butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Fold in 8 ounces of the whipped topping, reserving the remaining whipped topping for later. Spoon into the crust and smooth out with the back of a spoon or a butter knife. Transfer the pie to the freezer and freeze, uncovered, for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- About 10 minutes before you are ready to serve, remove the pie from the freezer and let it sit out on the kitchen counter. Top with reserved whipped topping and garnish with chopped peanuts and crushed Oreos.