This Mediterranean Chicken Salad is loaded with cherry tomatoes, cucumber, chickpeas, pepperoncini and a creamy feta dill dressing. It’s fresh, crunchy, and loaded with BIG flavor!
I love a good high protein salad and this healthy Mediterranean salad with chicken is one of the best! It has all the good veggies that make me happy while the strips of tender chicken and a to-die-for Greek yogurt-based dressing make it substantial enough to feed my hungry guys here.
If you love Greek flavors, this salad is for you.
Table of contents
Mediterranean Chicken Salad Recipe
There’s a whole lot going on in this Greek-inspired chicken salad. Chickpeas, red onion, chopped pepperoncini for a little punch, flavorful kalamata olives, pretty little cherry tomatoes, and cucumber. And, it’s topped with deliciously seasoned chicken for a truly satisfying meal.
The creamy but light feta dill dressing brings it all together.
Ingredients for Mediterranean Chicken Salad
- Thin cut boneless skinless chicken breasts – You can purchase thin-cut chicken breast slice regular thickness chicken breast through the middle, length-wise to create two thinner pieces.
- Seasoning – Garlic pepper, oregano and salt.
- Lemon – Between the chicken and dressing (below) you’ll need the juice of one lemon.
- Romaine lettuce
- Chickpeas – Also known as garbanzo beans – they are one and the same!
- English cucumber – They are longer, thinner, and less watery than regular cucumbers. Great in salads.
- Cherry tomatoes – I like to use a mixture of red and yellow cherry tomatoes for color.
- Diced red onion
- Pitted kalamata olives
- Pepperoncini – Located in the pickle section of the grocery store. Such a flavorful condiment!
- Olive oil
Ingredients for Feta Dill Dressing
- Nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Fresh dill
- Lemon – Juice and zest.
- White wine vinegar – You can substitute red wine vinegar if you’d like.
- Minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Mediterranean Chicken Salad
- Make the Feta Dill Salad Dressing – Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Refrigerate – Cover and refrigerate the dressing until you’re ready to assemble the salad. The dressing can be made a day or two in advance.
- Cook the chicken breast – Heat olive oil in a skillet and add the chicken. Season it with the oregano, garlic pepper, and a touch of salt as it cooks. When the chicken is thoroughly cooked, remove it the pan from the heat and squeeze the juice from half a lemon over the chicken.
- Alternate grilling instructions – Drizzle the chicken with a little olive oil then sprinkle both sides with the seasoning. Grill until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F when measured with a meat thermometer. Remove from the grill and squeeze the lemon juice over the top.
This chicken is unbelievably tasty and simple to prepare. It’s excellent in salads but would be equally delicious on a sandwich or even as an entrée.
How to Assemble the Salad
- Chop, rinse and drain the romaine and add to a large serving bowl. Add the remaining salad ingredients. You can place the ingredients separately for a nice presentation or toss all the ingredients together.
- Transfer the cooked and slightly cooled chicken to a cutting board and slice or chop it, as desired. Place the chicken in the center of the salad.
More Mediterranean Recipes You’ll Love
- Chicken Pitas
- Grilled Greek Chicken
- Greek Potatoes
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Check out my entire collection of Greek Recipes for more Mediterranean flavors!
Mediterranean Chicken Salad
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound thin-sliced boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic pepper
- salt, to taste
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 small head romaine lettuce
- 15 ounces chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chopped English cucumber
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes, red and yellow, halved
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ½ cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- ½ cup chopped peperoncini
For the Creamy Feta Dill Dressing
- ¾ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup milk
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- ½ lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Creamy Feta Dill Dressing
- Mix all ingredients for the dressing together in a small mixing bowl until well combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Cook the Chicken
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet and place it over MEDIUM-HIGH heat. Add the thin sliced chicken and season with the oregano, garlic pepper, and a little salt. Cook for about 3 or 4 minutes then flip and season other side. When chicken is thoroughly cooked, remove the pan from the heat and squeeze the juice from ½ lemon over the chicken. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let it cool slightly.
Alternate Grilling Instructions
- Drizzle the chicken with a little olive oil then sprinkle both sides with the seasoning. Grill until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F when measured with a meat thermometer. Remove from the grill and squeeze the lemon juice over the top.
Assemble the Salad
- Chop, rinse and drain the romaine and add it to a large serving bowl. Add the remaining salad ingredients, arranging them in sections for a pretty presentation. Alternately, toss everything together.
- Slice or chop the cooked chicken as desired and place it in the center of the salad.
- Serve with the Creamy Feta Dill Dressing
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.
This post was originally published on March 14, 2014. It has been updated with new text and images.