This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These no-bake granola bars are a snap to put together and a wholesome, portable snack option for the kiddos (and you!)
The gremlins will out for summer break soon. Back at home, rummaging around your kitchen, looking for snacks. The familiar “Mom, I’m hungry” ringing in your ears.
I thought I’d share some of my favorite kid-friendly snack recipes as we move into the warmer months and these No-Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars are first on the list. They were a favorite of my boys when they were younger and I still can’t keep a batch around here for more than a day or two. If your kids are involved with summer sports and you are the designated team snack parent, these from-scratch granola bars are a fantastic option. Wrap them individually with plastic wrap and hand them out on the pool deck, the sidelines, or after the game.
Let’s get in the kitchen!
In a large mixing bowl toss together 2-1/2 cups Rice Krispies cereal (or the generic type works just fine), 2 cups quick-cooking oats, 1/2 cup coarsely chopped raw almonds, and 1/2 cup coarsely chopped peanuts. You could substitute any type of nuts you prefer or leave them out altogether if you’d like.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup light corn syrup, and 1/3 honey. When the mixture reaches a boil, remove the pan from the heat and stir in 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and a dash of salt until smooth and creamy.
If you’re not happy about the little bit of corn syrup in this recipe you could use swap it out for honey but I’ve found that corn syrup has a nice binding quality and the result is better when I use a little bit.
Pour the peanut butter mixture over the dry mixture.
Use a spoon to combine the mixture.
Add 1 cup of chocolate chips. I used dark chocolate chips but I’ve done it countless times with semi-sweet and it’s great with both.
Pour the granola mixture out into a 13″ x 9″ dish that has been coated with non-stick cooking spray. I find it easiest to pat it down into a nice, even layer using a piece of wax paper. If you don’t use the wax paper, be sure to coat your hands with a little non-stick cooking spray to make the process less sticky.
Let them cool completely and then cut them into bars.
They keep well for several days if stored in a covered container or wrapped individually.
No-Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
- 2-1/2 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped raw almonds optional
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted salted peanuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 honey
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- dash of salt
- 1 cup bittersweet dark or semisweet chocolate chips
- Coat a 13" x 9" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the Rice Krispies, oats, and nuts in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat just until boiling, then remove from heat and stir in peanut butter, vanilla, and salt until smooth. Pour over the dry mixture and mix well. If necessary, coat hands with non-stick cooking spray and use your coated hands to combine well. Add chocolate chips, mixing a bit more to distribute throughout.
- Press the mixture down evenly into the prepared baking dish using the back of a large spoon or a piece of wax paper.
- Allow to cool, then cut into bars. Store covered.