In addition to the amazing flavor, Pretty Chicken Marinade imparts a beautiful, rich golden hue to the chicken as it grills.
I’ve been waiting for grilling season to share this recipe with you and I do believe it is time! My barbecue has been fired up several times over the past couple of weeks and there’s no stopping me now.
This is hands down, no contest, my favorite grilled chicken marinade that I’ve used for years…and years…and, you get the point. In addition to the amazing flavor, it’s true to its name and imparts a beautiful, rich golden hue to the chicken as it grills. It works well with any type of chicken but I usually do a combination of boneless, skinless breasts, skinless thighs, and drumsticks. Grill a few extra pieces so you can throw together a summery grilled chicken salad or sandwiches for lunch the next day.
I’m foregoing the step by step but did want to mention a little something.
This is chili garlic sauce and if you haven’t used this stuff yet, I suggest you pick some up. It’s a thick puree of chilies and lots and lots of garlic. It works wonders in marinades and pastes for grilling or roasting all kinds of meats. In the quantity used here, it will add great flavor but just a touch of heat to the finished product. This one happens to sport the iconic rooster logo because it’s made by the same fine folks who bring us Sriracha. There are many different brands, however, and the one available at your local store may look different so don’t let that throw you.
I’m listing it as an optional ingredient because the marinade is fantastic either way. I use it if I have it on hand but have made it frequently without. It does add an additional layer of flavor so try it if you can but don’t stay away from this recipe if you can’t locate it.
The printable recipe is below. Happy grilling!
Pretty Chicken Marinade
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce, optional
- 2 to 3 pounds assorted chicken pieces
- Place all marinade ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisk until well combined. Place chicken into one or two gallon sized plastic storage bags and add the marinade. Seal bag(s) and turn around a few times to distribute marinade. Place bag(s) in refrigerator for at least an hour or up to four hours.
- Grill chicken till no longer pink in center and juices run clear. Serve.
- Adapted from Allrecipes
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.