This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The definition of a snack cake, in my dictionary, is a cake you can pick up and eat with your hands. This charming little fall inspired cake falls under this definition.
It’s a dense, lightly spiced pumpkin cake that is studded with mini chocolate chips. I’m a big fan of the pumpkin/chocolate flavor combination and it is wonderful in this. Grab a piece when it’s still a little warm and the chocolate chips are still a little melty, and…oh…my.
After it has cooled, pieces can be neatly wrapped in plastic wrap or sandwich bags and packed in a lunch box for a really special treat.
Here comes the step-by step for this super easy cake. The full, printable recipe and directions are at the end of this post.
A quick ingredient note. Be sure to purchase “Pure Pumpkin” which is just pumpkin puree without any added spices. The can of pumpkin pie filling looks strikingly similar and it’s easy to get them confused.
With an electric hand mixer, beat two eggs together with 1 cup of sugar. Add 1/2 cup of vegetable oil.
Add a teaspoon of vanilla.
In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon. I didn’t include a photo of this exciting step.
Add about a little of the dry mixture to the egg/sugar mixture and beat until combined.
Alternate with a little of the pumpkin puree. As you can see, you’ll probably need to scrape down the sides of the bowl here and there. Continue adding the flour mixture, alternating with the pumpkin until it has all been added.
Dump in 1 cup of mini chocolate chips.
Mix them into the cake batter with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
Transfer the cake batter to a 13″ x 9″ pan that has been coated with non-stick cooking spray. I love to use my shallow brownie pan for this type of cake but any 13″ x 9″ pan will do.
Pop that baby into a preheated 350 degree oven and blow her a kiss goodbye…for now.
Remove the cake from the oven after about 30 minutes.
Let it cool for 15 to 20 minutes and then slice away.
And, snack away! I hope you try it and love it as much as we do.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Snack Cake
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 13" x 9" pan (a brownie pan works well) with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl beat eggs with an electric hand mixer. Add the sugar and beat for a minute or two until completely combined. Pour in the oil, with beaters running, and then add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, salt, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon.
- Mix flour mixture into wet mixture, a little at a time, alternating with the pumpkin puree
- Use a spoon to fold in the mini chocolate chips and mix just until combined. Transfer the cake batter to the prepared pan, spreading it out in the pan with your spoon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 28 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 to 20 minutes before slicing and serving.