This Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Dip is an entirely irresistible, make-ahead party snack that is guaranteed to be a hit with your guests!
In the process testing, photographing, and making the video for this recipe, I made it three times over the course of two weeks. You’re thinking that’s a whole lotta dip, right? Well, it really is.
And, there’s not a speck left. We had absolutely no problem tearing right through all three batches.
This is one of those ridiculously easy recipes that results in something so delicious it will surprise you.
It is perfectly suited for a game day party but honestly, I would serve this tasty dip anytime I’ve got a good sized group coming over for any occasion. I love including easy recipes like this one on my menu when I’ve got a ton of things on my to-do list because I start it early in the day and basically forget about it while I attend to other tasks.
Simple ingredients, simple prep, amazing result!
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Dip
Place a couple of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the bottom of a small slow cooker. Sprinkle the chicken with some Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix, or a store-bought blend and then pour a can of red enchilada sauce over the top. I highly recommend looking for Hatch brand sauce. So good.
Cover the slow cooker and let it cook for 7 to 8 hours on LOW or 5 to 6 hours on HIGH.
I’m using my 4.5-Quart Crock Pot in this post. I love this cute little Crock Pot! It’s small enough for appetizer recipes but also works for a lot of soup and stew recipes. Plus the damask pattern is so cute you’ll want to keep it out on the counter for serving.
When the chicken is very tender, use two forks to shred it into the sauce.
Add some cream cheese, a little sour cream, and some shredded pepper Jack cheese and stir it into the saucy mixture. Cover the Crock Pot and let it simmer on LOW for another 30 to 40 minutes, or until the cream cheese has completely melted. The dip may seem a bit saucy but fear not. It’s going to set up quite a bit as it sits.
One note about the dairy. I use Neufchatel (lower fat cream cheese) and light sour cream with great success here. Use full fat dairy if you’d like but this is an easy way to cut back on the fat without compromising flavor in my opinion.
Shake is a little (or a lot!) of hot sauce. I used Cholula Original but you can use your favorite hot sauce to make it your own. Add and taste until you’ve got it just right. This is the best part.
Switch the slow cooker to the WARM setting to keep the dip warm throughout the duration of your gathering. Be sure to give it a stir now and again.
Transfer some of the dip to a serving bowl and garnish it with sliced green onions and cilantro – totally optional but we love it this way.
You need to serve this meaty dip with substantial chips. Frito’s Scoops are perfect and so tasty with this Chicken Enchilada Dip but sturdy tortilla chips are also a great choice.
For more slow cooker recipe inspiration check out my new cookbook The Foolproof Family Slow Cooker. There is an entire chapter full of tasty appetizers like Meaty Queso Dip, Warm, Cheesy Crab-Artichoke Dip, and more!
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Dip
- 1.25 pounds (2 average size) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix, (or a store-bought blend)
- 15 ounce can red enchilada sauce, (I use Hatch brand)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, or Neufchatel, softened
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- ½ cup sour cream, (I use light)
- hot sauce, like Cholula or Tabasco,, to taste (I added a generous amount)
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves, optional
- Spray the insert of a 3- to 4-quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Add chicken, sprinkle with taco seasoning, and pour the enchilada sauce over the top. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 5 to 6 hours or until chicken is cooked through and tender enough to easily shred. Using two forks, shred the chicken into the sauce.
- Cut the cream cheese into 8 pieces and add them to the slow cooker along with the pepper Jack cheese and sour cream. Mix well to combine. Cover and continue to cook on LOW for 30 to 40 minutes, or until cream cheese has completely melted, stirring once or twice.
- Add some heat by shaking in a little or a lot of hot sauce, like Cholula (this is the part where you have an excuse to grab a chip and dig in). Stir well then sprinkle with green onions and cilantro, if desired. Serve with Fritos Scoops or sturdy tortilla chips.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.