After making and tasting this coleslaw, I immediately texted my oldest, blue cheese, bacon lovin’ boy.
“I just made coleslaw that will change your life”.
My boys are used to these random ramblings from me at all times of the day and night. You know when something is just SO good, you have to tell someone?
Using a pre-shredded, bagged coleslaw mix makes it super fast and easy to put together. It’s a sturdy salad that will hold well in the fridge so feel free to make it several hours in advance. I think it tastes even better after the flavors have had time to get cozy with each other.
There’s nothing wrong with a good, basic coleslaw, but it’s fun to mix things up a little – add some unexpected ingredients to give it a little kick. This recipe does just that.
What makes it so crazy good?
The addition of sweet, tart apple.
A sweet, creamy, poppy seed dressing. This dressing is incredible.
And, we must not forget the smoky, crumbled bacon and blue cheese.
I’m obsessed with this totally addictive, completely irresistible version of the classic side dish. You must try it!
Apple, Bacon, Blue Cheese Slaw
- 1 16 ounce package coleslaw mix
- 1 apple, Fuji or Gala, unpeeled, cored and chopped
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
For the Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1/4 cup sour cream, light or regular
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, light or regular
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Place coleslaw and chopped apple in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Pour dressing over the coleslaw and apples and toss to combine. Sprinkle with blue cheese and crumbled bacon.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.