This Chicken Broccoli Rice Bake requires very little prep and is mixed and baked all in one dish. This easy casserole is an excellent choice for a busy day.
Classic recipes like this easy Chicken Broccoli Rice Bake have stood the test of time for good reason. This family-friendly chicken dinner requires just 10 minutes of prep, is prepared and baked all in one dish with no mixing bowls to clean, and is reliably tasty.
Just slice some French bread and you’ll have a hearty, complete meal with minimal cleanup. When you are short on time and energy, this recipe is just the ticket!
- Cream of Chicken Soup – The one, the only!
- Chicken Broth – Be sure it’s low sodium.
- Rice – Long grain white rice, like Jasmine rice.
- Broccoli – Fresh broccoli is best.
- Chicken – Boneless, skinless chicken breast.
- Seasoning – A combination of all-purpose seasoning like Lawry’s Seasoned Salt, garlic powder, paprika, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Green onions
- Cheese – Shredded sharp cheddar.
How to Make Chicken Broccoli Rice Bake
- Add the soup and chicken broth to a 13- x 9-inch dish and whisk until smooth. Scatter the rice evenly over the top and then the broccoli. Place the chicken on top of the rice mixture (don’t stir).
- Sprinkle the casserole with the seasoned salt, garlic powder, paprika, and freshly ground black pepper (be sure the pieces of chicken get seasoned).
- Cover the baking dish tightly with foil. Bake for 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender.
- Remove the foil and stir.
- Sprinkle the green onions over the top and then top with the shredded cheese.
- Return to the oven for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Serve this Chicken Broccoli Rice Bake with some warm, sliced French bread for a stress-free meal.
More Easy Casseroles
- Lazy Lasagna Casserole
- Chicken Tortilla Casserole with Salsa Verde
- Chicken Tamale Casserole
- Make-Ahead Manicotti
Creamy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole is my updated, made from scratch version of this classic recipe.
Chicken Broccoli Rice Bake
- 10.5 ounce can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup uncooked long grain white rice, (I used Jasmine rice)
- 8 ounces broccoli florets, chopped, (about 3 cups)
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1½ teaspoons all-purpose seasoning, (like Lawry's Seasoned Salt)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add the soup and chicken broth to a 13- x 9-inch dish and whisk until smooth. Scatter the rice evenly over the top and then the broccoli. Place the chicken on top of the rice mixture (don’t stir). Sprinkle the casserole with the seasoned salt, garlic powder, paprika, and freshly ground black pepper (be sure the pieces of chicken get seasoned). Cover the baking dish tightly with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender. Remove the foil and stir. Sprinkle the green onions over the top and then top with the shredded cheese. Return to the oven for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.
Questions and Reviews
Would boneless chicken thighs work?
I just made this and it is delicious! Everything was cooked perfectly! I used Better Than Bouillon. I will definitely make this again. I wonder how much longer frozen chicken would take?
Can you use minute rice
This recipe was tested with long grain Jasmine rice. Using instant rice would change the amount of liquid but I can’t say for sure how much without testing.
To add on, I tweeked it just a tad. Used, Soaked and washed chicken thighs in apple cider vinegar and water for 15min, pat and dry, seasoned it and put in the fridge for 30min. Then the rest was magic, following your intructions for everything else!!
Sounds perfect! So happy you loved it. 🙂
You really don’t have to cook the chicken or rice and it’s cooked thru and good? Rice is tender? Chicken done? I’ve just never seen this before hence my questions even though all the good reviews.
Hi Kathy. If you cut the chicken into bite-size pieces they will cook through just fine and the rice cooks right along with it! We had this for dinner one VERY busy day last week and it was perfect. Hope you try it!
My family enjoyed this recipe!!!! Enjoyed it so much, had to double back and make it again, a second night in a row. Thank You!!!
That sounds great. We’re your thighs boneless skinless?
Yes it was!!!
I tried brown rice and it is almost double time to cook it. It was just as good as white rice but longer time and the broccoli was a bit mushy. I will stick to white rice
Sorry I didn’t get to your question earlier! Brown rice does take quite a bit longer to cook so I wouldn’t recommend it here.
Would brown rice work or mot get done enough?
My family really enjoyed this dish and I really enjoyed that I did it have to cook anything beforehand. Really easy and delish!
I can’t wait to try this but can I substitute Quinoa for the rice? Thank you!
I imagine it might work but can’t say for sure without testing.
I am wondering if I can make this a few hours ahead of time before putting in the oven. I want to make it for someone else and let them make it
It’s so quick and easy to put together that I haven’t tried making it in advance. The rice might soften a bit which could change the outcome. Let me know how it works out for you if you decide to try it!