This Chicken Vegetable Tortellini Soup is made easy with the help of a rotisserie chicken and store-bought cheese tortellini. Add a deliciously seasoned broth, some veggies and fresh baby spinach, and you’ve got yourself a wholesome, satisfying 30-minute meal.
I’m easing us gently from winter and taking a few steps towards spring today with this wonderful transitional recipe. It’s still plenty cozy for those chilly, rainy days some of us are still having but it includes lean chicken, a light broth and is brightened up with lots of veggies and some greens.
Nutrition, color, warmth, and a little pasta for good measure.
I’ve made this soup twice in the last month; the true test for whether something is what I like to call “blog worthy”. Not only is it really delicious, it is a snap to put together and is ready in 30 minutes from start to finish. Perfect for a busy weeknight or when you’re just plain tired any day of the week.
Check out the end of this post for the step-by-step.
I love the fact that the frozen peas and corn are added straight from the freezer. No need to thaw in advance, just toss them right in and they cook in the hot broth in just minutes. All the other veggies are pretty much kitchen staples for me so anytime I pick up a rotisserie chicken from Costco, this soup can happen on a whim.
More Easy Soup Recipes
Easy Chicken and Rice Soup | Two Peas and Their Pod
Roasted Cauliflower Corn Chowder | Valerie’s Kitchen
Cheeseburger Soup | She Wears Many Hats
Easy Meatball Soup with Orzo | Rachel Cooks
Sausage and Tortellini Soup with Kale | Valerie’s Kitchen
Chicken Tortilla Soup | Barefeet in the Kitchen
Chicken Vegetable Tortellini Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced baby carrots
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- ¾ cup diced white or yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley,
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon all purpose seasoning, or more to taste (I used Lawry’s Seasoned Salt)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini, (about 3 cups)
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- ¾ cup frozen corn
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 ½ cups cooked, chopped chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken)
- ¼ cup shaved or shredded Parmesan cheese, plus additional for garnish
- Add oil to a large soup pot or Dutch oven and place over MEDIUM HEAT. Add carrots, celery, onion, parsley, thyme sprigs, garlic, all-purpose seasoning, and fresh ground black pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until veggies have softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato paste and stir into the cooked veggies until well combined. Add the chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to MEDIUM-LOW. Add the frozen peas, frozen corn, and the tortellini and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or according to package directions. Add the chicken and the spinach. Stir for a minute or two, just until chicken is warmed through and spinach is wilted.
- Remove the thyme stems. Stir in Parmesan and add additional seasoning, if desired.
- Garnish individual servings with additional Parmesan, if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.