Incredibly tasty, from-scratch turkey meatballs and your favorite marinara combine to make a less-guilty version of this familiar old standard.
I have a little something for you all today, and I think you’re gonna like it. It’s good, old fashioned, stick to your ribs comfort food. Man-friendly cuisine in the truest sense but, and there is a great big but here (no pun intended), it’s a little bit less guilt-inducing then you might gather from the photo above.
Thanks to these luscious turkey meatballs…
…which are actually a snap to put together.
They bake up perfectly in the oven – no muss, no fuss, no oil, no pan to clean. When the meatballs are ready, just toss that foil and move on with your life.
And, they make one heckuva meatball sub.
Italian Turkey Meatball Subs
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 3 links (approximately 1 pound) hot or mild Italian turkey sausage, , casings removed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional for garnish
- 3/4 cup Italian-style panko style breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated white onion
- 2 cremini, brown button mushrooms, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley or 1 tablespoon dry parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 26 ounce jar marinara sauce
- 7 hoagie rolls
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella or provolone, sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and coat the foil generously with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl mix together all ingredients through minced garlic. Use clean hands to combine meat mixture. Form into meatballs and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to BROIL and warm marinara sauce in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add cooked meatballs and allow to simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes. Spoon 4 meatballs with sauce on to each sandwich roll. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and top with sliced cheese. Place baking sheet under broiler until buns are lightly toasted and cheese has melted. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired, and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.