This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Simple ingredients dress up packaged corn muffin mix to create this super moist and flavorful Mexican Style Cornbread with a cake-like texture.
Click HERE to sign up for your FREE email subscription and never miss a recipe!
While I’m a huge fan of cornbread made from scratch (like my tried and true Rustic Sweet Cornbread), the packaged mixes will do in a pinch. Especially when you’ve got a big menu planned or when you just plain don’t feel like making the extra effort. Been there?
You can very easily punch up the flavor and texture of a packaged mix with some simple additions to create this super tasty Mexican version.
The flavors make it perfect to go alongside pretty much any Mexican entree or serve it with some hearty soup and call it dinner. But, as far as I’m concerned, the best way to serve it is with a great big scoop of chili poured over the top. Add some shredded cheese and a little sour cream and I’m a happy mama.
Like many of the jazzed up Mexican style cornbread recipes out there, my recipe includes a can of creamed corn. For even more texture and corn-i-ness, I’ve also added some frozen corn. Sour cream adds amazing moisture and a flavor punch comes from diced green chiles and pepper Jack cheese.
Let’s do it!
In a large bowl, combine 3 eggs, 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, 1 can of creamed corn, 1 small can of mild diced green chiles, 1/2 cup of sour cream, 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese, and 1/2 cup of frozen corn.
A few ingredient notes – I always use light sour cream in my recipes but regular will work just fine and you can substitute plain Greek yogurt if you’d like. I like the added punch from the pepper Jack but regular Monterey Jack is an option. The frozen corn adds a nice textural element to the cornbread and there is no need to thaw it – just throw it in straight from the freezer.
After all the other ingredients have been combined well add two packages of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, gently combining the mixture with a wooden spoon. Avoid the temptation to over mix the batter – stir just until the dry mix is moistened. The batter may be a little lumpy and that’s just how we want it for the best end result.
Transfer the batter to a 13″ x 9″ baking dish that you’ve coated with non-stick cooking spray and pop it in a pre-heated 375 oven. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
It would be so incredibly corny for me to say that you could make this yummy cornbread in a jiffy. Thankfully, I have higher literary ideals than that. Ha!
Jiffy Mexican Style Cornbread
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 14 or 15 ounce can cream style corn
- 1/2 cup frozen yellow corn no need to thaw
- 1/2 cup light sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or pepper Jack cheese
- 1 small can diced green chiles drained
- 2 8-1/2 ounce packages Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- Coat a 13" x 9" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat eggs and oil with a wooden spoon until well combined. Add creamed corn, frozen corn, sour cream, cheese, and diced green chiles and mix until well combined. Add Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix and stir just till moistened. Batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish and place in the oven. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.