Simple ingredients dress up Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix to create this super moist and flavorful Mexican Cornbread. This fast and easy cornbread recipe is a real crowd-pleaser!
I’ve made this Mexican Cornbread countless times and each and every time, I’m shocked by just how delicious it is. The simple recipe turns store-bought corn muffin mix into the most flavorful cornbread with a fluffy, cake-like texture.
It’s an excellent choice to serve at a summer potluck, a holiday buffet, or with a bowl of chili for a simple, delicious dinner. And, I guarantee it will go over like gangbusters!
Easy Mexican Cornbread Recipe
While I’m a huge fan of cornbread made from scratch like my tried and true Rustic Sweet Cornbread, Jiffy Mexican Cornbread is a no-sweat recipe that takes just minutes to put together.
No mixer is needed. Just a mixing bowl, a spoon, and a short list of easy to stock ingredients. It’s perfect for those busy times when you have a big menu planned.
This is one of my favorite shortcut recipes of all time.
It would be so incredibly corny for me to say that you could make this yummy cornbread in a jiffy. Thankfully, I have higher literary standards than that. Sometimes.
Ingredients for Jiffy Mexican Cornbread
- Corn muffin mix – You’ll need two boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix. This is an exceptionally inexpensive boxed mix that has stood the test of time. It’s the only boxed mix I use for my Cornbread Stuffing.
- Vegetable oil
- Canned creamed corn – Cream-style corn helps create the cake-like texture and adds great corn flavor.
- Frozen yellow corn – It adds a nice textural element to the cornbread and even more corn flavor. There is no need to thaw it, just add it straight from the freezer.
- Sour cream – I always use light sour cream but you can use regular or even substitute or plain Greek yogurt, if you’d like.
- Shredded cheese – I like to use Monterey Jack cheese or pepper Jack, for a little kick. Sharp cheddar cheese would also be delicious.
- Diced green chiles – A small can of diced green chiles adds amazing flavor.
How to Make Mexican Cornbread
This is a quick overview of how to make this recipe. You’ll find detailed instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and oil with a wooden spoon until well combined. Add the creamed corn, frozen corn, sour cream, cheese, and diced green chiles and mix until well combined.
- Add the Jiffy Mix to the wet ingredients and stir just until moistened. The batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish that you’ve coated with nonstick spray.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Avoid the temptation to overmix the batter. The batter will be a little lumpy and that’s just how we want it for the best end result.
For clean cut slices, allow the cornbread to cool for 15 to 20 minutes before slicing.
I actually prefer diving right in and serving slightly messy, perfectly fluffy slices of this yummy cornbread warm from the oven.
This recipe is a long-time reader favorite. Scroll down to the comments section to read lots of helpful reader tips!
Cover the completely cooled Mexican Cornbread with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and store at room temperature for 2 to 3 days. If possible, transfer to an airtight container to keep it fresh even longer. The cornbread can be stored in the refrigerator or frozen for longer storage.
To freeze, wrap the corn bread in plastic wrap to help prevent freezer burn then wrap tightly in foil or transfer it to a freezer safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
We love this cornbread smothered with chili, shredded cheese, and a little sour cream. It’s also my favorite cornbread to serve with authentic BBQ fare and it’s an easy way to make a hearty bowl of soup or stew a complete meal.
Serve any of the recipes below with a fluffy slice of this cheesy Mexican Cornbread for a delicious meal.
- Turkey Chili (a family favorite!)
- Smoked Pork Tenderloin
- Smoky Chili Braised Beef (Carne Guisada)
- White Chicken Chili
- Crock Pot Chile Verde
- BBQ Country Style Ribs
Sign up for my free newsletter for all the latest recipes and join me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for more cooking inspiration!
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 14.75 ounce can cream-style corn
- ½ cup frozen yellow corn, no need to thaw
- ½ cup sour cream (light or regular), or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or pepper Jack cheese
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles, drained
- 17 ounces Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, (two 8.5 ounce packages)
- Coat a 13- x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Beat the eggs and oil with a wooden spoon until well combined. Add the creamed corn, frozen corn, sour cream, cheese, and diced green chiles and mix until well combined. Add the Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix and stir just until moistened. Batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.
This post was originally published on May 4, 2015. It has been updated with new text and images.
Questions and Reviews
Can I make muffins from this Mexican cornbread recipe?
Sure! Just fill your muffin cups about 2/3 full and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
I made this tonight, and it was soooo gooood!
I have tried many different kinds of this same recipe. I added some more jalapeños and it turned out great!I will give this this to my family to enjoy
I also can some drained canned diced tomatoes, best cornbread ever, also top with cheese when baking, yummm
I followed the recipe exactly and it was delicious. Moist and tasty. I will keep this recipe!!
Sorry, I forgot to say they were baked at 375° for 12 minutes!
I finally got around to making the Mexican Style cornbread as mini muffins. The covid lockdown cancelled the 2020 meetings as it did everything else. So I was going to make them for my Pinochle group today and then it was cancelled!! My husband is very appreciative as I made them today…finally. It made 18 mini muffins and 6 regular size. I used a small cookie scoop and it probably would have made 6-8 more mini’s. Bottom line, they are delicious and will now become a very welcome addition to my reputation as a great cook. (little brag there 😊). Thanks for your help with time and temperature.
This is seriously the BEST cornbread recipe! We enjoyed it with chili. We used Marie Callender’s cornbread mix instead of Jiffy’s and it turned out great! We also added sliced jalapeños on the top as a garnish. We will definitely make this recipe again!
This cornbread is AWESOME!!! Moist, flavorful, really corn inspired.