This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A dreamy cream cheese layer and a vanilla and spice infused pumpkin layer top a sweet ginger snap crust. This Creamy Layered Pumpkin Dessert is a wonderful make-ahead holiday dessert choice.
Happy fall, friends. Believe it or not, we are just 5 weeks from Thanksgiving! It’s time to start looking for inspiration for that holiday menu. Whether you are hosting this year or you’ve been given the task of bringing a dessert to a holiday potluck, this recipe is a fabulous choice.
This nearly no-bake Creamy Layered Pumpkin Dessert involves less effort than pie baking and makes enough to serve a group. It’s also made a day in a advance and after a quick garnish, it is ready to slice and serve.
But the number one reason to get this luscious dessert on your menu is that it is absolutely and undeniably delicious!
This easy, fall-inspired dessert is joining the list with my other 13- x 9-inch wonders. My Easy Blueberry Cheesecake Dessert and the Next Best Thing to Robert Redford Dessert are also great options to add to your menu for the holidays or any time of year.
While it’s just not Thanksgiving here without at least a couple of pies, adding an easy 13- x 9-inch dessert recipe to the mix ensures there will be enough for everyone and you might even be lucky enough to end up with some dessert leftovers. Always a good thing the day after! This Creamy Layered Pumpkin Dessert holds up really well for several days in the refrigerator.
What sets this recipe apart is the ginger snap crust. Crushed ginger snap cookies combined with a little sugar and melted butter give this dessert a fall-inspired punch with the flavors of ginger, cinnamon and molasses. And, you don’t need to bother baking your own. I use a box of store-bought Nabisco Ginger Snap Cookies and they work perfectly. There are more than you need for this crust in one 16-ounce box, leaving you with some to snack on.
This crust is so much more flavorful than a plain graham cracker crust and really drives home the holiday vibe. I hope you’ll give it a try!
Be sure to watch the quick video at the end of this post to see just how quick and easy it is to put this make-ahead holiday dessert together.
Creamy Layered Pumpkin Dessert with a Ginger Snap Crust
For the Crust:
- 45 ginger snap cookies (I use Nabisco)
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
For the Layered Filling:
- 12 ounces Neufchatel or regular cream cheese (1 1/2 (8 ounce) packages), softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons milk divided
- 8 ounces whipped topping (like Cool Whip) thawed, divided
- 15 ounces canned pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 2 (3.4 ounce) packages Jello Vanilla Instant Pudding
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 ginger snap cookies, coarsely crushed
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place gingersnaps in the bowl of a food processor and process until they are crushed into a fine crumb. You should end up with about 3 cups of ginger snap crumbs. Add 5 tablespoons sugar and pulse to combine. Pour in melted butter and pulse until well combined. Transfer the mixture to an ungreased 13- x 9-inch baking dish and use your hands to pat it down into a firm, even layer.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or just until crust is fragrant. Remove from oven and cool completely before adding layers.
Layered Pie Filling
- Add cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, and 2 tablespoons milk to a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until well combined. Add 1 cup whipped topping and mix again for about a minute until combined. Use an offset or rubber spatula to spread the mixture evenly over the completely cooled crust.
- In a large, clean mixing bowl, whisk pumpkin, dry pudding mixes, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and remaining 2 cups milk for about 2 minutes or until well combined. Spread over cream cheese layer.
- Top with remaining whipped topping and carefully spread it out over the top of the pumpkin layer. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Sprinkle with crushed ginger snaps and chopped walnuts before serving.