Shredded Beef Tacos with tender, deliciously seasoned shredded beef nestled in toasted tortillas with an assortment of tasty toppings. Taco night just got an upgrade!
This is the Shredded Beef Taco recipe I’ve been making since the beginning of time. When you find something this good, there’s zero reason to do it any differently.
It starts with a batch of my Mexican Shredded Beef which you can make in either the oven or slow cooker. A chuck roast is coated with a garlic, diced green chile, and spice mixture and cooked low and slow until it is meltingly tender. All you need are two forks to shred it into the seriously flavorful sauce it creates as it cooks.
To say that this beef creates tasty tacos is an understatement. These are the BEST Shredded Beef Tacos!
Table of contents
- Make-Ahead: The Mexican Shredded Beef can be made and reheated on the stovetop or in the microwave for fast and easy Shredded Beef Tacos any night.
- Family-Friendly: When made as written, this recipe results in mild shredded beef that people of all ages will love. It’s easy to add a little heat, if desired.
- Alternate Cooking Methods: The shredded beef can be prepared in a conventional oven or slow cooker.
- Freezer-Friendly: Use half of the shredded beef to make tacos and freeze the rest for an easy future meal.
- Shredded beef: The basis for this recipe is my beloved Mexican Shredded Beef recipe. It consists of a boneless beef chuck roast, canned diced green chiles, chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper. This beef also makes delicious copycat Chipotle Burrito Bowls, Shredded Beef Enchiladas, nachos, and more.
- Toppings: Load up your tacos with shredded cheese, diced red onion, diced tomato, sliced jalapeno, cilantro, and sour cream. We also love Shredded Beef Tacos with Blender Salsa, Creamy Tomatillo Avocado Salsa, and Chipotle Guacamole. Serve the tacos with lime wedges for a burst of fresh lime flavor.
- Tortillas: I love Shredded Beef Tacos on 6-inch corn tortillas, flour tortillas, corn/wheat blend tortillas, and even low-carb tortillas. It’s all good! For my big eaters, sometimes I’ll toast a couple of large flour tortillas for big, beefy burritos.
How to Make Shredded Beef Tacos
- Make the Shredded Beef: Make a batch of Mexican Shredded Beef. To save time, the beef can be made a day in advance and reheated when you’re ready to assemble your tacos. Refer to the recipe for detailed cooking, make-ahead, and storage instructions.
- Prep the Toppings: Shred some cheese and slice and dice any of the optional toppings you’d like to use.
For the Tortillas
Soft Tacos: Place a dry skillet over medium-high heat and toast the tortillas for about 30 seconds per side or until they appear toasted and are warmed through. Transfer them to a cloth tortilla warmer and repeat with the remaining tortillas.
Crispy Tacos: Cook corn tortillas in vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat for about 1 minute per side then transfer to paper towels to drain. Load up the crispy taco shells with toppings and devour!
Assembling Shredded Beef Tacos
Set out the tortillas and toppings and let everyone line up to customize their own tacos. They can load up tortillas with shredded beef, cheese, tomatoes, diced onions, and all their favorite toppings. Set out lime wedges and try squeezing a little fresh lime juice over the top – delicious!
More Taco Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Ground Beef Tacos
- Crock-Pot Chicken Tacos
- Blackened Fish Tacos
- Ranch Chicken Tacos
- Carne Asada Tacos
- Check out my entire collection of taco recipes for more dinner inspiration.
Shredded Beef Tacos
- 1 recipe Mexican Shredded Beef
- 12 tortillas (6-inch), corn, flour, or 50/50 blend, or as needed
- vegetable oil, if frying tortillas
Optional Taco Toppings
- 2 cups shredded cheddar and/or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- 2 jalapenos, sliced
- lime wedges
Prepare the Shredded Beef
- Prepare the Mexican Shredded Beef. If prepared a day in advance, reheat as much as needed according to the recipe directions.
Prep the Toppings
- Shred the cheese and slice and dice the optional toppings.
For Soft Tacos
- Place a dry skillet over MEDIUM-HIGH heat and toast the tortillas for about 30 seconds per side or until they appear toasted and are warmed through. Transfer them to a tortilla warmer and repeat with the remaining tortillas.
For Crispy Tacos
- Cook corn tortillas in vegetable oil in a skillet over MEDIUM-HGH heat for about 1 minute per side then transfer to paper towels to drain.
Assemble the Tacos
- Load up the tortillas with shredded beef and any of the optional toppings. Serve with lime wedges.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.