This Southwestern Ranch Dip will make a great addition to your game day menu. Make it the day before to let the flavors mingle and it will be ready to serve when your guests arrive.
Do you have plans for Super Bowl this year?
Although the poor 49ers just weren’t up to par this season (I really don’t want to talk about it), the Super Bowl is being hosted at their home, Levi’s Stadium, a mere 15 minute drive from our house. So, even though our team didn’t get anywhere close to participating this year, we’ve been experiencing the Super Bowl hype up close and personal and you just can’t help but get drawn in!
I’m actually excited about the matchup this year and we’ll definitely be watching. And, besides, we have the Warriors and I think there’s some sort of karma balance happening here. I mean, the Warriors are downright magical and it would be a bit greedy of us to expect to our football team to be in the Super Bowl too, now wouldn’t it? My husband says no, but…
I love this Southwestern Ranch Dip recipe for the following reasons:
- It’s a make-ahead recipe – golden! The flavor will improve as it chills so make it at least 4 or more hours in advance – or even better, the day before.
- It takes less than 5 minutes to put together.
- It’s creamy and delicious.
- It can easily be lightened up without losing any quality and is delicious served with veggies.
- A packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix
- Sour cream (light or regular)
- Ro-Tel Tomatoes (mild or medium)
- A small can of chopped black olives
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Green onions
Lighten it Up
So here’s the deal for lightening this recipe up. The main component is the sour cream so if you go with light sour cream you will be cutting a BIG amount of fat and calories. Yes, there’s cheese but all in all, it’s still a pretty light deal as far as dips go. By all means go with regular sour cream if that’s your preference. Either way, it will be delicious!
All the ingredients are combined. Simple.
Make-Ahead and Storage Tips
It’s vital for this dip to chill before serving. The texture will thicken a bit and the flavors will dance and sing with each other and come out bigger, stronger, and better after at least 4 hours in the fridge. It can even be made a day ahead and it will be perfect for serving the next day. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers – the dip holds up exceptionally well for several days in the fridge.
It’s excellent served with a variety of dippers – good old ridged party chips, tortilla chips, corn chips, and definitely put out some veggies.
More Easy Cold Dip Recipes
Southwestern Ranch Dip
- 16 ounces sour cream, light or regular
- 10 ounces Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces chopped black olives, (about ½ of a small can)
- 1 ounce packet Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing and Seasoning Mix
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced, divided
- Combine sour cream, Ro-Tel, cheese, olives (I used ½ can but you can add more if you'd like!), dressing mix, and 2 of the sliced green onions (reserve remaining green onion for garnish). Mix well, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
- Garnish with remaining green onion and serve with chips and veggies.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.