We tend to put most of our efforts into planning and preparing the dinner meal at the holidays, but, when my house is full of guests and morning comes, I need some great breakfast ideas at my disposal. This cake is at the top of my list of totally scrumptious breakfast ideas for the holidays. It’s festive, incredibly moist, and spiked with tart, fresh cranberries and sweet, canned pears.
I say we eat cake for breakfast!
Using canned fruit in baked goods helps to create exceptionally moist and flavorful breads, cakes, and muffins and it also works beautifully in crisps and cobblers. Eliminating the need to clean, peel and wash, especially during the busy holiday season, is a lifesaver for me and one of the reasons why I keep my pantry well stocked. Quality is the other reason. You may be surprised to learn that nearly 90% of Del Monte fruits and vegetables are grown in the best growing regions of the United States for a consistently quality product. The majority are canned the same day they are picked to lock in nutrients and flavor resulting in fruits, veggies, and tomatoes that have similar nutritional value to fresh when you include them in your recipes. For all of you fabulous Facebook folks, you can find Del Monte on Facebook HERE. Stop by and give them some love. The complete recipe and details on how you can enter the Crate & Barrel giveaway appear at the bottom of this post. But first, lets make some breakfast cake!
Combine 1-1/2 cups fresh cranberries with 1 tablespoon of flour. This will help keep the cranberries from sinking to the bottom of the batter as the cake bakes.
Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the egg, vanilla, and lemon zest and continue to beat till creamy.
In a separate bowl combine the remaining flour, baking powder, and salt and then add it to the creamed butter mixture a little at a time.
Alternate the additions of the flour mixture with some of the buttermilk, beating between additions. Continue this process until all of the dry mixture and buttermilk have been added and the mixture is well combined.
Time to add the cranberries and chopped pears.
Use a wooden spoon to fold the fruit into the batter, stirring just until combined.
Transfer the cake batter to a 9″ or 10″ oven-proof skillet or baking dish that has been coated with non-stick cooking spray. I used my cast iron skillet but any type of dish will work. Sprinkle the surface of the batter evenly with 1 tablespoon of sugar.
Bake the cake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool for about 15 minutes before serving.
This is a beautiful sight first thing in the morning. Time to get the coffee brewing!
The little bits of pear and the beautiful contrast of the red cranberries make this a totally festive and delicious addition to your holiday breakfast buffet.
Now, on to the giveaway! Del Monte will provide one lucky reader with a $100 Crate & Barrel gift card. To enter, all you have to do is leave a comment on this post answering the following question:
- What are your favorite fruits or vegetables to stock in your pantry?
Only one comment per person please. For additional ways to enter and the complete sweepstakes rules, scroll down past the recipe below for the full sweepstakes rules. Good luck to you all!
- 1-1/2 cups fresh cranberries, rinsed and drained well
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can Del Monte® Pear Chunks or Halves in Heavy Syrup
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9" or 10" oven safe skillet or baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the cranberries and 1 tablespoon of flour in a small bowl and toss to coat the cranberries. Set aside. Chop pear chunks or halves and set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla extract, and lemon zest and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl use a spoon to mix together 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk, beating with the electric mixer until combined. Use a wooden spoon to fold in the flour coated cranberries and the chopped pears. Mix lightly just until combined. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar evenly over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Adapted from Alexandra's Kitchen
Sweepstakes Rules: No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
a. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
b: Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
c: Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
d: For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. You have 72 hours to get back to me, otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 11/18/2013-12/18/2013
Be sure to visit the Del Monte® brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers reviews and find more chances to win!
This post is sponsored by Del Monte and BlogHer but all opinions expressed are solely my own. Read my full disclosure policy here.