These easy Butterscotch Gingerbread Cookies are loaded with classic holiday flavor. They are warmed with molasses, cinnamon, and ginger and the sweet, nostalgic flavor of butterscotch.
I love the flavors of gingerbread and butterscotch and combined they create one seriously delicious treat. This Butterscotch Gingerbread Cookie recipe is an old holiday classic. Simple and straight forward, but I promise you, the taste does not reflect this. They are perfectly spiced, sweet morsels of goodness. It’s always good to include one or two very easy recipes on your Christmas baking list and this one fits the bill perfectly.
These cookies are worth baking solely for the way your house will smell while they are in the oven. Heavenly!
Table of contents
- Butterscotch baking chips, like Nestle Butterscotch Morsels, are typically well stocked at the grocery store during the holidays.
- Look for regular, unsulphured molasses like Grandma’s Original. It is a light molasses and the best variety to use for baked goods and a variety of other recipes. This is an excellent ingredient to keep on hand over the holidays so you can whip up the most delicious Old-Fashioned Gingerbread or a pot of Baked Beans from Scratch.
How to Make Butterscotch Gingerbread Cookies
- Dry ingredients: Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Wet ingredients: In a separate large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar, egg and molasses until creamy.
- Combine: Gradually beat in the flour mixture until well blended.
- Butterscotch chips: Use a spoon to stir in the butterscotch baking chips.
- Shape and bake: Form the dough into small balls and place them 2-inches apart on a silicone baking mat or parchment paper lined baking sheet. You can also bake them directly on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until the cookies are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Christmas Cookie Favorites
Here are some of my favorites to tuck next to these Butterscotch Gingerbread Cookies on your Christmas cookie trays. These are all excellent choices for gift giving.
- Eggnog Thumbprints
- Mom’s Pecan Sandies
- Chocolate Peppermint Crinkles
- Easy Toffee Candy
- Chewy Iced Molasses Cookies
Happy baking and the happiest of holidays to all of you!
Butterscotch Gingerbread Cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- ¾ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter , softened
- 1 ½ cups packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup molasses, (like Grandma's Original Unsulphured Molasses)
- 11 ounces butterscotch baking chips, like Nestle Toll House Butterscotch Flavored Morsels
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar, egg and molasses until creamy. Gradually beat in the flour mixture until well blended. Use a spoon to stir in the morsels. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto parchment paper lined or ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until the cookies are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.
This post was originally published on December 20, 2011. It has been updated with new text and images.
Adapted from VeryBestBaking.com