This clever recipe makes use of leftover sandwich rolls to create easy Cheater Garlic Bread. It takes just minutes to prepare and is surprisingly delicious!
Many times in my long and illustrious career as a home cook, I’ve been in the position of having extra sandwich rolls on my hands. You know … when you buy two packages because there’s only six rolls per pack and you need eight? I hate seeing anything go to waste, so recipe hacks like this are a must in my kitchen.
This sandwich roll garlic bread isn’t just pretending to be garlic bread, it’s so delicious that I often buy a bag of hoagie rolls specifically for this recipe. The soft texture of these store-bought rolls works better for garlic bread than in does for hoagies, in my opionion. And the crispy, charred edges are divine.
Table of contents
The five ingredient smear consists of softened butter, a little mayonnaise, fresh parsley, granulated garlic (or garlic powder), and minced garlic. Parmesan cheese adds irresistible salty flavor.
It may seem a bit odd to use mayonnaise. I realize we are completely departing from traditional Italian garlic bread here, but you’re going to have to trust me on this one. It’s amazing.
Buttery, garlic-y, with a slight tang from the mayo and a salty bite from the Parmesan. Perfect every time!
How to Make Cheater Garlic Bread
- Coat the rolls: Combine the ingredients in a small dish. Separate the hoagie rolls and place them cut side up on a foil lined baking sheet. Spread each roll with the garlic-butter mixture.
- Add the cheese: Sprinkle the Parmesan over each garlic-butter coated roll.
- Bake: Transfer to a preheated 400 degree F oven and bake for 5 minutes. Switch the oven to broil and cook briefly, just until the rolls are toasted and lightly golden brown,
More Easy Italian Side Dish Recipes
- Pesto Green Beans
- Easy Garlic Parmesan Knots
- Lemon Parmesan Salad
- Simple Italian Salad
- Easy Parmesan Noodles
Cheater Garlic Bread
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh Italian parsley
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 hoagie style rolls, split in half
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a small bowl combine softened butter, mayonnaise, minced garlic, granulated garlic (or garlic powder), and parsley.
- Separate the hoagie rolls and spread equal amounts of the garlic butter mixture on each roll half. Place the rolls buttered side up on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 5 minutes then switch the oven to BROIL for an additional minute or two, just until toasted and lightly golden brown. Watch closely so it doesn't burn.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.
This post was originally published on March 20, 2017. It has been updated with new text and images.
Adapted from Allrecipes