Turn pizza dough into these easy Homemade Cheesy Breadsticks in about 20 minutes! They are delicious served warm with marinara dipping sauce or with any pasta meal.
Looking for more easy bread recipes to serve with pasta? Check out my Cheater Garlic Bread and Easy Garlic Parmesan Knots.
These easy Cheesy Breadsticks are one of my favorite things to do with my Homemade Pizza Crust recipe. The pizza dough is so easy to make and instead of using it for pizza, I stretch it out, top it with a garlic butter mixture, a little seasoning, and plenty of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. They bake up golden brown and so incredibly delicious and it only takes about 20 minutes, from start to finish.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The pizza dough can be made in advance and refrigerated or frozen.
- It’s a great alternative to garlic bread for an Italian-inspired menu.
- These breadsticks also work as a substantial, warm appetizer.
- Cheesy Breadsticks are SUPER kid-friendly!
- Pizza dough – Use my Homemade Pizza Crust recipe for the tastiest result. Store-bought pizza dough will work in a pinch but homemade is SO much better!
- Olive oil – Just enough to coat the baking sheet.
- Melted butter
- Minced garlic
- Italian seasoning – A little seasoning adds some really nice flavor to these breadsticks.
- Shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheese
For a smaller batch of breadsticks, use half of the pizza dough and freeze the other half for pizza with my Easy No-Cook Pizza Sauce on another day.
How to Make Homemade Cheesy Breadsticks
This is a quick overview of how to make this recipe. You’ll find detailed instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Place the pizza dough on a sheet of parchment paper and sprinkle it with a little flour (so it won’t stick to the rolling pin). Use a rolling pin to roll the pizza crust out in a rectangular shape a little smaller than a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Peel the dough off the parchment paper and transfer it the oiled baking sheet. Use your hands to pat and push the dough to about a 1-inch short of the edges of the pan.
- Combine the melted butter and minced garlic and pour the mixture over the pizza dough and spread it out with a knife or the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle the pizza dough evenly with half of the Italian seasoning, the salt, shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle the remaining Italian seasoning evenly over the top of the cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for a minute or two before slicing.
I use a pizza cutter to slice the bread times crosswise and 5 times lengthwise to create 18 breadsticks.
Storage and Reheating Tips
Transfer leftover breadsticks to a zippered plastic storage bag and refrigerate for up to 1 week. The breadsticks reheat well in a toaster oven or for just a few seconds in the microwave.
Sign up for my free newsletter for all the latest recipes and join me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for more cooking inspiration!
Homemade Cheesy Breadsticks
- 1 recipe Homemade Pizza Crust
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, or as needed to coat baking sheet
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan
- Move oven rack to lowest position and preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on top of a cutting board or other surface. Place the pizza dough in the center and sprinkle it with a little flour (so it won’t stick to the rolling pin). Use a rolling pin to roll the pizza crust out to a 14- x 10-inch rectangle. Use your hands, if needed, to pull and shape the dough into a nice rectangle shape.
- Drizzle a large rimmed baking sheet with about 2 teaspoons olive oil and spread it around with your hands. Peel the dough off the parchment paper and transfer it to the prepared baking sheet. Use your hands to pat and push the dough back into shape (approximately 14- x 10-inches). It should not fill the entire sheet.
- Combine melted butter and minced garlic. Pour it over the dough and spread it out with a knife or the back of a spoon. Sprinkle evenly with ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning, salt, shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle the remaining Italian seasoning evenly over the top of the cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for a minute or two before using a pizza cutter to slice it into 18 strips (I sliced it 6x lengthwise and 3x crosswise).
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.