Add big flavor to your menu with this zesty Jambalaya Rice. This Cajun-inspired rice recipe is filled with sausage, onions, peppers, and garlic to create a satisfying and delicious side dish.
I’m categorizing this hearty recipe as a side dish but I could eat it all by it’s lonesome and be pretty happy about it.
It’s an awesome choice to serve along with pretty much any type of meat. Cook up some steak, chicken, or pork and serve this Jambalaya Rice with it to add a ton of flavor, color, and depth to your meal.
- Sausage – Bulk hot Italian sausage is best for this Cajun-inspired recipe but you could go mild if you’d like.
- Veggies – Celery, red and yellow bell pepper, yellow onion, and garlic.
- Rice – Long grain white rice.
- Seasoning – Smoked paprika, dried thyme, dried oregano, and a little (or a lot!) of cayenne pepper.
- For the rest – A can of condensed cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup and some low sodium chicken broth.
How to Make Jambalaya Rice
- Cook the sausage in a skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Once fully cooked, drain any excess grease and add the celery, peppers, onion, and the garlic. Cook and stir for 4 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables have softened.
- Add the uncooked rice, smoked paprika, thyme, oregano, and cayenne pepper; cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Next, add the low-sodium chicken broth and a can of cream of mushroom soup. Trust me, the cream soup gives this recipe a wonderful texture and flavor. I’ve also used cream of chicken and it works beautifully, so use what you’ve got on hand.
- Combine all of this deliciousness and bring it to a low boil. Reduce the heat, cover the skillet, and let it simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
Vibrant, fragrant, and absolutely delicious!
More Rice Recipes You’ll Love
- Almond Rice Pilaf
- Restaurant Style Mexican Rice
- Spanish Rice with Ground Beef
- Salsa Rice
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- 6 ounces bulk hot Italian sausage, 2 links, casings removed
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ¾ cup diced red bell pepper, (½ small red bell pepper)
- ¾ cup diced yellow bell pepper, (½ small yellow bell pepper)
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 ¼ cups long grain white rice
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 10.5 ounce can condensed cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
- 2 ¼ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Coat a 12-inch skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place over MEDIUM heat. Add the Italian sausage and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until browned and thoroughly cooked. Add the celery, peppers, onion, and the garlic. Cook and stir for 4 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables have softened.
- Add the rice, smoked paprika, thyme, oregano, and cayenne pepper; cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Add the soup and chicken broth. Bring just to boiling then reduce the heat to LOW, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.