This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Add big flavor to your menu with this zesty Jambalaya Rice. This Cajun-inspired rice recipe is filled with sausage, onions, peppers, and garlic to create a satisfying and delicious side dish.
I’m categorizing this hearty recipe as a side dish but I could eat it all by it’s lonesome and be pretty happy about it.
It’s an awesome choice to serve along with pretty much any type of meat. Cook up some steak, chicken, or pork and serve this Jamblaya Rice with it to add a ton of flavor, color, and depth to your meal.
I went with hot Italian sausage to go along with the Cajun-inspired feel of this recipe but you could go mild if you’d like. The recipe calls for two uncooked link sausages (about 6 ounces) that I removed from the casings and sautéed with diced onion, garlic, celery, and bell peppers. I love to use both red and yellow for that gorgeous color contrast and prefer their flavor over green bells for this recipe.
Once the sausage is fully-cooked, the uncooked rice is added right into the skillet along with the seasonings – smoked paprika, thyme, oregano, and a touch of cayenne pepper (totally optional).
In goes some low-sodium chicken broth and a can of cream of mushroom soup. Trust me, the cream soup gives this recipe a wonderful texture and flavor. I’ve also used cream of chicken and it works beautifully, so use what you’ve got on hand.
Combine all of this deliciousness and bring it to a low boil. Reduce the heat, cover the skillet, and let it simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
Vibrant, fragrant, and absolutely delicious!
- 6 ounces bulk hot Italian sausage 2 links, casings removed
- 2 stalks celery diced
- ¾ cup diced red bell pepper (½ small red bell pepper)
- ¾ cup diced yellow bell pepper (½ small yellow bell pepper)
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 ¼ cups long grain white rice
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 10.5 ounce can condensed cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
- 2 ¼ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Coat a 12-inch skillet with non-stick cooking spray and place over MEDIUM heat. Add Italian sausage and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until meat is browned and thoroughly cooked. Add celery, peppers, onion, and the garlic. Cook and stir for 4 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables have softened. Add rice, smoked paprika, thyme, oregano, and cayenne pepper; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Add soup and chicken broth. Bring just to boiling then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.