This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
With easy to stock ingredients and about 20 minutes you can get this Salsa Rice on the table. It is an excellent busy weeknight side dish choice.
I’m all about taking advantage of shortcuts that add big flavor to recipes and make life easier in the kitchen and jarred sauces and salsas are one of the best ways to accomplish both.
Using store bought salsa in this recipe means no slicing and dicing and in fact you won’t even pull out a knife.
Long grain white rice is quickly sautéed with a little Homemade Taco Seasoning until toasty and fragrant and then simmered with chicken broth and your favorite store-bought salsa. Be sure to go with a chunky salsa for this recipe so you’ll get just the right fluffy texture and the nice color contrast.
I always keep a small mason jar filled with my Homemade Taco Seasoning in my pantry. When I get low, I mix up a new batch and it is on constant rotation.
Salsa Rice is an awesome choice to go along with any Mexican entrée or even simple grilled meats but here are a few of my favorite ways to use it:
- Serve it next to my Green Chile Chicken Smothered Burritos, Turkey Black Bean Enchilada Bake, or Crock-Pot Chile Verde.
- Top it with Shredded Mexican Beef or the ever-popular Crock-Pot Chicken Taco meat and a variety of toppings for easy-peasy burrito bowls. Both of these recipes make a large amount and this is an excellent way to make use of the leftovers.
- Roll it up into flour tortillas with beans and cheese for a satisfying but incredibly easy meal.
Lots of possibilities here!
Make Salsa Rice a meal in itself by adding cooked ground beef or shredded rotisserie chicken and a variety of delicious add-ins:
- shredded cheese
- black beans
- sliced green onions
I kept it simple and opted for a touch of cotija cheese which adds a sharp, salty bite.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1½ cups long grain white rice
- 2 teaspoons Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix, or store-bought
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chunky salsa, mild or spicy
- optional add-ins: corn beans, shredded cheese, sliced green onions, olives
Add oil to a 12" skillet and place over medium heat. Add the rice and taco seasoning and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted and spices are fragrant. Add the chicken broth and salsa and bring mixture to a low boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, or until the broth has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
Fluff with a fork. Stir in any of the optional add-ins, if desired, and serve.
Adapted from Taste of Home