It’s not Halloween without crunchy, salty, roasted pumpkin seeds. They are packed full of fiber, vitamins, and minerals and they taste incredible. Maybe this will help offset the effect of the little chocolate candy bars I keep stealing from the Halloween stash in our pantry.
Here is my method, tried and true.
Scoop the pumpkin seeds into a colander.
There will be lots of pumpkin guts stuck to the seeds but don’t fret. We’ll take care of that next.
Place the colander in your sink and rinse with water. While rinsing, sort through them with your hands and pull out the stringy pumpkin guts.
I place some newspaper on the counter next to the sink so I can just roll it up and toss it when I’m done. There will be some bits of pumpkin still mixed in with the seeds. Just get out as much as you can.
Spread the rinsed seeds on a rimmed baking sheet. See those little pieces of pumpkin? Don’t worry, we’ll get those later. Leave the baking sheet on your kitchen counter overnight so the seeds can dry. They will not roast as well if you put them in the oven when they are wet. It will be easy to pick out any remaining bits of pumpkin the next day.
The following day you will toss the dry seeds with some olive oil and garlic salt and roast them till toasty and golden brown. Taste and sprinkle with a little additional garlic salt if needed. I dare you to try and eat just one!
It turned out okay for the pumpkin too. Happy Halloween!
- 1-1/2 cups raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt, plus additional if desired
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Remove seeds from your pumpkin and place in a colander. Place colander in your sink and rinse with water, removing as much of the stringy pumpkin guts as you can. Pour seeds on to a rimmed baking sheet and allow to dry overnight. The following day, pick out any remaining pieces of pumpkin.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spray a clean rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Toss seeds in a bowl with the olive oil and garlic salt. Spread the seeds on the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Taste and season with additional garlic salt if desired.
Some more delicious pumpkin seed ideas: