This pretty plate of Summer Chicken Parmesan is a great choice for a warm summer night. Make use of vibrant summer produce and get this delicious meal on the table in about 30 minutes.
I’m loving this summery way to get my fix for Italian while at the same time loading up on summer veggies in the most gorgeous way possible.
We’ve had some pretty warm days here in Northern California. When it’s grey and dreary out a big pot of pasta with red sauce or a baked lasagna is definitely in order. But with the sun comes my craving for lighter fare and this Summer Chicken Parmesan was exactly what I needed on an especially warm day last week.
It’s a stunning dish, so pretty I didn’t want to include anything on the plate next to it for these photos. What did I serve it with you ask?
I served it with my Almond Rice Pilaf, that loaf of sourdough bread you see in the pictures here, and a glass of chilled white wine. Heavenly.
It would also be wonderful with pasta on the side. Just toss any cooked pasta with a little olive oil, a touch of butter, and Parmesan cheese and you’re good to go. Maybe add a little fresh parsley too if you’re feelin’ fancy.
This is summer at its best, my friends. Zucchini, red and yellow cherry (or grape) tomatoes, and a good amount of fresh garlic quickly sauteéd until crisp tender.
Just before taking the veggies off the heat, I squeeze the juice from a lemon over the top to brighten them up.
Spoon the veggies over breaded chicken cutlets with melted fresh mozzarella straight from the oven and garnish each serving with fresh basil and grated Parmesan.
Looking for more quick meal inspiration? Check out my entire collection of 30 Minute Meals.
More easy chicken recipes:
Baked Boneless Chicken Thighs | Dine and Dish
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken | Valerie’s Kitchen
Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Skillet | A Spicy Perspective
Baked Chicken Teriyaki | Valerie’s Kitchen
Summer Chicken Parmesan
- 2 pounds thin sliced (¼-inch thick) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan, divided
- 9 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, or as needed
- 2 zucchini
- 10 ounces red cherry tomatoes
- 10 ounces yellow cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Place flour, egg, and breadcrumbs in separate shallow dishes (pie plates work well). Lightly whisk the eggs. Dredge both sides of chicken in flour; dip in egg, and then dredge in breadcrumbs.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over MEDIUM-HIGH¼. Add half of the breaded chicken, cook 2 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned. Transfer browned chicken to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat this process with remaining chicken, adding oil to the skillet if needed.
- Top browned chicken with a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese and transfer baking sheet to the oven for 7 to 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and cheese has melted.
- Meanwhile, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to clean skillet and add zucchini. Sauté for about 1 minute, or just until slightly fork tender. Add tomatoes and garlic. Season with salt and sauté for 3 or 4 minutes, until tomatoes have softened and zucchini is tender. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the cooked vegetables and toss to combine.
- Spoon the vegetables over the chicken, sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese and top with fresh basil.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.
Adapted from Cooking Light