Once you learn how to make Chicken Parmesan in the air fryer you may never go back to traditional methods. This Easy Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan recipe turns out crispy, tender, and perfectly cooked every time!
This super easy Chicken Parmesan is officially one of my favorite air fryer recipes to date. It is everything you want in a classic chicken parm but easier to make and just as delicious as pan fried.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It has a simple list of easy to stock ingredients.
- You can cook two batches of this Easy Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan in just 30 minutes!
- The air fryer method creates juicy, tender chicken with a crispy exterior without drying it out.
- It is a healthier way to satisfy your craving for classic Italian food with less fat and calories.
- No messy, oily pan to wash. Cleanup is a breeze!
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts – You’ll need two chicken breasts, about 8 ounces each, sliced in half to create four cutlets.
- Seasoning – Salt, freshly ground black pepper, granulated garlic or garlic powder
- Italian seasoned panko bread crumbs
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Marinara sauce – Use your favorite jarred marinara sauce.
- Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Fresh parsley or basil – Optional for garnishing the finished recipe.
- Propellant-free nonstick cooking spray – To avoid damaging your air fryer basket over time, use a propellant-free cooking spray like Chosen Avocado Oil Spray. Or, use an oil mister filled with vegetable, canola, or olive oil.
How to Cut Chicken Breasts into Cutlets
Place a chicken breast on a cutting board and press one hand on top. Using a sharp knife, slice all the way through the center to create two thin cutlets. Try to slice as close as possible to the center of the chicken breast so that the chicken cutlets will be of even thickness. If the cutlets are more than ½-inch thick, place them between sheets of plastic wrap or in a plastic storage bag and gently pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet.
How to Make Easy Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- In a low, shallow dish mix together the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, granulated garlic, and pepper.
- In another dish whisk the eggs. Season the chicken cutlets with a little salt.
My favorite air fryer and the one pictured in this post is the Cosori 5.8 Quart MAX. It’s super lightweight and easy to store. I love how easily to comes apart and it cleans up in minutes.
- Dip both sides of a chicken cutlet in the egg and then dredge both sides in the breadcrumb mixture and transfer to a clean cutting board or piece of foil. Repeat with remaining chicken cutlets.
- Spritz the air fryer basket with oil. Place two breaded chicken cutlets in the preheated air fryer. Spritz the tops of the chicken with oil and cook at 380 degrees F for 6 minutes.
- Flip the chicken over and carefully top with the marinara sauce, spreading it out over the chicken with the back of a spoon.
- Top with mozzarella cheese. Cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes or until the cheese is melted and lightly golden brown in spots. The internal temperature of the chicken should be at least 165 degree F when measured with an instant read thermometer.
Cooking in Batches in an Air Fryer
One of the limitations of basket air fryers is the small capacity. Most can only cook two chicken cutlets at a time which means if you are cooking for three or more, you’ll need to cook this Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan in batches.
To keep the first batch of cheesy chicken Parmesan warm while the second batch cooks, preheat your oven to 200 degrees F. Transfer the first batch of cooked chicken to a baking sheet and transfer it to the oven while the second batch cooks.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
Since this recipe calls for a small amount of jarred marinara sauce, I like to toss the rest with simply cooked spaghetti or any other dry pasta. We also love it with a filled pasta like tortellini or ravioli for an easy side dish.
Transfer leftovers to an airtight container and refrigerate within two hours. Use leftovers within 3 to 4 days.
How to Reheat Leftover Chicken Parmesan
- Microwave – Reheat leftovers gently in the microwave at 50% until warmed through.
- Air Fryer – Preheat your air fryer to 360 degrees F for 5 minutes, add the Chicken Parmesan and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the chicken is heated through.
More Easy Chicken Parmesan Recipes
Easy Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts , (about 8 ounces each), sliced in half, lengthwise, to create 4 thin cutlets
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 cup Italian seasoned panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh parsley or basil, optional for garnish
- nonstick cooking spray, propellant free (see Notes below)
- Preheat air fryer at 380 degrees F for 4 minutes. Preheat your conventional oven to 200 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- If necessary, place plastic wrap over the chicken and pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet so each piece is no more than ½-inch thick. Season both sides of the chicken with a little salt, to taste.
- In a low, shallow dish mix together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, granulated garlic, and pepper.
- In another dish whisk the eggs.
- Dip both sides of a chicken cutlet in the egg and then dredge both sides in the breadcrumb mixture and transfer to a clean cutting board or piece of foil. Repeat with remaining pieces of chicken.
- Spritz the air fryer basket with oil. Place two of the coated chicken cutlets in the preheated air fryer. Spritz the tops of the chicken with oil and cook at 380 degrees F for 6 minutes.
- Flip the chicken over and carefully top with the marinara sauce, spreading it out over the chicken with the back of a spoon. Top with ¼ of the mozzarella cheese (trying not to let any spill over onto the air fryer basket). Cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes or until the cheese is melted and lightly golden brown in spots and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degree F when measured with an instant read thermometer.
- Place the cooked chicken on the prepared baking sheet and transfer it to the oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining chicken cutlets.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.