This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Honey Roasted Rainbow Carrots and Brussels Sprouts will steal the spotlight on your holiday table. They’re roasted with honey and a delicious seasoning blend until tender and caramelized.
If there was ever a vegetable side dish to get more “ooohs” and “ahhhs” than the entrée, these Honey Roasted Carrots and Brussels Sprouts are it! And, it doesn’t stop at their gorgeous presentation. They are flat out delicious and a healthy addition to any fall or winter menu.
Regular orange carrots will work just fine but the stunning color contrast of rainbow carrots really makes these Honey Roasted Carrots and Brussels Sprouts a standout dish. They are typically sold in bundles of red, orange, purple, yellow and white with the frilly carrot greens intact. There is a slight difference in flavor between the colors and they are all delicious.
Brussels sprouts season runs from late September through late February. Look for bright green Brussels that feel hard and compact when squeezed and have tightly packed leaves. Avoid any that have yellowing, loose leaves or black spots. Smaller sprouts tend to be a bit sweeter than the great big ones.
Seasoning and Honey
The mix of chili powder, salt, and a touch of cayenne creates a seriously delicious flavor combination when combined with honey. The cayenne adds a just a bit of a kick that is offset by the sweetness of honey and the earthy, savory flavor of the chili powder. The honey also helps to caramelize the veggies a bit as they roast. This is my go-to recipe and method for a wide variety of roasted veggies. Try it with cubed sweet potatoes. Heavenly!
- Trim the woody stem end of the Brussels and remove any loose outer leaves. You want your veggies to be close to the same size so that they will cook evenly so cut any large Brussels sprouts in half. Smaller sprouts can stay whole.
- Remove and discard the carrot greens. Peel the carrots and slice them on the diagonal to be about the same size as your Brussels sprouts.
- Spread the veggies out over a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle them with olive oil and use your hands to mix them up to coat them well. Sprinkle with chili powder, cayenne, and salt and drizzle with honey. Use a spatula to stir and toss the veggies until the honey and seasonings are well distributed.
- Roast at 400 degrees F, stirring with a spatula every 10 minutes or so to ensure even color. Roast for a total of 25 to 30 minutes, or until tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife. Keep a close eye on them towards the end of the cooking time to avoid overcooking.
More Fall and Winter Side Dishes
If you love these Honey Roasted Carrots with Brussels Sprouts, check out some of my other side dish recipes that are perfect for a holiday menu.
- Sweet Chili Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Apple Cabbage Salad
- Bourbon Glazed Carrots
- Maple Pecan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Wild Rice Pilaf with Cranberries and Pecans
- Sweet Potato Gratin
- Cranberry Walnut Coleslaw with Shaved Brussels Sprouts
Honey Roasted Carrots and Brussels Sprouts
- 1 ¾ to 2 pounds rainbow carrots peeled (2 bundles – 14 small-ish carrots)
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon fine ground sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice carrots into 1-inch chunks on the diagonal and place on large rimmed baking sheet. Slice large Brussels in half and place them on the baking sheet with the carrots. Drizzle the olive oil over the veggies and use your hands to mix the until they are well coated with oil. Sprinkle evenly with chili powder, salt, and cayenne, and drizzle with honey. Use a spatula to stir and toss until the veggies are evenly coated in the honey and seasonings.
- Bake, stirring with a spatula every 10 minutes, until tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, about 25 to 30 minutes. Watch closely towards the end of the baking time to avoid overcooking.