Reheat a store-bought rotisserie chicken for an easy roast chicken dinner in under 30 minutes! I’m sharing the best methods for warming a whole rotisserie chicken to be just as golden and juicy as it was when you brought it home from the store.
Did you know you can use the drippings from a rotisserie chicken to make perfect gravy? Serve this roast chicken with easy Rotisserie Chicken Gravy.
With the cost of a whole fryer chicken being substantially more than the mega-low price of these hefty, pre-cooked birds, I decided to see if I could revive a whole rotisserie chicken after it had been refrigerated for a couple of days.
I’ve developed so many recipes using Costco’s rotisserie chicken meat. You can use it to make tacos, soups, smothered burritos, the BEST chicken salad, and so much more. But, stashing a whole rotisserie chicken in the fridge and using it to create a cozy roast chicken dinner is an incredibly easy, budget-friendly choice.
The result of this experiment really surprised me. The methods I’m detailing below create a roasted whole chicken that is perfectly tender and juicy with golden crispy skin. I wouldn’t hestiate to serve this meal for a nice occasion. It would be a delicious, economical holiday meal for a couple celebrating alone (with leftovers!) or a comforting meal for a small family any night of the week.
Table of contents
These are the methods I’ve found work best for reheating a refrigerated whole rotisserie chicken.
How to Reheat Rotisserie Chicken in the Oven
Reheating a whole rotisserie chicken in a conventional oven with a little chicken broth helps it retain its juices and prevent the chicken from drying out. The skin can be crisped at the end of the cooking time.
- Baking dish: Place the chicken in a 13- x 9-inch oven-safe dish.
- Add broth: Pour 1 cup of chicken broth in the bottom of the dish around the chicken.
Be sure to reserve all the drippings from the rotisserie chicken container to make Rotisserie Chicken Gravy.
- Bake: Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil, transfer to a preheated 375 degree F oven. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is warmed through.
- Crisp: Remove the foil and increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees F. Cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes more to crisp the skin.
How to Reheat Rotisserie Chicken in the Air Fryer
If extra-crispy chicken skin is important to you, the air fryer method is your best bet. It’s also the quickest method and the result is fabulous.
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the rotisserie chicken from packaging and place it in the air fryer basket. Air fry for 3 to 7 minutes until rotisserie chicken is crisp and heated through.
The total cooking time can vary depending on whether you’re reheating your chicken right when you get it home from the store or after it has been refrigerated.
- Still slightly warm: Air fry for 3 minutes
- Cold from fridge: Air fry for 5 to 7 minutes
Fully cooked chicken should be refrigerated promptly and consumed within four days. Most stores will mark their rotisserie chickens with a “cooked on” date. Be sure to use the chicken within four days of this date, or remove the meat from the bone and freeze it in airtight containers. I use my vacuum sealer to seal portions of shredded chicken so I can keep it stocked for easy rotisserie chicken recipes.
A store bought rotisserie chicken is fully cooked, so technically, there is no need to check the internal temperature when reheating them. If you want to be sure the chicken is warmed through, insert an instant read meat thermometer in the thickest portion of the thigh and remove it from the oven when it has reached 165 degrees F.
Using a microwave to reheat a whole cooked chicken will likely overcook it and result in an unpleasant texture. Instead, remove the chicken from the bone and slice the breast portions into pieces first to shorten the cooking time and help to prevent it from drying out. Place the chicken pieces on a microwave safe plate and drizzle with a little chicken broth. Cover with damp paper towel and microwave for 2 to 4 minutes, just until warmed through.
The stovetop method works best for shredded chicken or pieces of chicken. Coat a skillet with a little oil or nonstick cooking spray and place it over medium heat. Add the chicken and drizzle it with a small amount of water or chicken broth. Cook stirring for a minute, then reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Cook for an additional 2 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is warmed through.
Rotisserie Chicken Dinner Ideas
Choose any of the recipes below to turn a $4.99 rotisserie chicken into a meal worthy of a holiday or special occasion.
- Rotisserie Chicken Gravy
- Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
- Homemade Stovetop Stuffing
- Sheet Pan Roasted Vegetables
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Parsley Potatoes
- Maple Glazed Sweet Potatoes
- Cheddar Dinner Rolls
How to Reheat Rotisserie Chicken
- 1 whole store-bought rotisserie chicken, approximately 3 pounds
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth, or as needed
Conventional Oven Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken from the tray and scrape the drippings from the chicken into the tray. If making Rotisserie Chicken Gravy, reserve the drippings for later.
- Place the chicken in a 13- 9-inch baking dish. Pour 1 cup of chicken broth in the dish around the chicken. Cover the dish with aluminum foil, transfer to the oven, and bake for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is warmed through.
- Remove the foil and increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees F. Cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes more to crisp the skin.
- Remove from the oven and transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Reserve the broth from the baking dish for the rotisserie chicken gravy recipe, if needed.
- Slice the chicken fromthe bone and serve immediately.
Air Fryer Instructions
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F. Remove the rotisserie chicken from the packaging and place it in the air fryer basket. Air fry for 3 to 7 minutes (see below) until the rotisserie chicken is crisp and heated through.Still slightly warm: 3 minutesCold from fridge: 5 to 7 minutes
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.