I apologize for the sweets binge I’ve been on lately but it’s Christmas time, for crying out loud!
We have an excuse, so I’m going for it. See you on the other side…or at the gym.
This is another classic recipe from my mom’s recipe binder that just had to be on the blog. You may know them as pecan tassies but she called them tarts so tarts they shall be, for me.
Tassies, tarts, whatever you call them, they are divine little pecan pies with a flaky cream cheese based crust.
And, they need to be in your house at Christmas.
First things first – the crust. Place 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 3 ounces of cream cheese (I used reduced fat) and 1/2 cup softened butter in a large mixing bowl.
Use an electric hand mixer to combine the ingredients until they are the texture of coarse crumbs.
Now, get your clean hands in there and work it…work it baby..until it forms into a ball. Flatten it out slightly, like so.
Wrap it with plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge for at least an hour.
After your nap, remove the dough from the fridge and roll it into 24 equal sized little balls.
Press the dough into the cups of a mini muffin pan that has been coated with non-stick cooking spray.
Use your fingers to shape and press the dough up the sides of each cup.
Repeat with remaining dough.
Time to move on to the PE-can filling!
Grab a large mixing bowl and combine an egg, 3/4 cup light brown sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. Use an electric hand mixer to combine until smooth.
Stir in 2 tablespoons melted butter…
…and 2/3 cup chopped pecans.
Use a small spoon to divide the filling equally between the 24 tart shells.
Bake them for about 20 minutes or until set and golden brown.
Little bites of joy and happiness.
Check out the links below for some more festive goodies from Mom’s binder:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3 ounce package cream cheese (regular or reduced fat), softened
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- Use an electric hand mixer to combine the flour, cream cheese and butter. Work dough with hands to form in to a ball and then flatten it a little into a disc. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat mini muffin pan(s) with non-stick cooking spray.
- Remove chilled dough from refrigerator and divide it into 24 evenly sized balls. Place each ball into a cup in the muffin pan and pat into shape with your fingers.
- In a medium mixing bowl, use an electric hand mixer to combine egg, brown sugar, salt, and vanilla. Use a spoon to stir in melted butter and pecans. Place a small amount of the filling in each pastry lined muffin cup; dividing it evenly between the 24 cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes or till nicely browned and set. Remove from oven and allow to cool in muffin pan(s) for 10 to 15 minutes then use a fork or small sharp knife to pop the tarts out. Allow them to cool completely and store in an airtight container.