This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Sweet and Spicy Asian-Style Green Beans are a versatile vegetable side dish. A great way to add big flavor and an Asian flair to any meal.
These green beans rock my world.
They get tons of flavor and a bit of heat from one of my favorite secret ingredients – chili garlic sauce. A touch of honey gives them just the right amount of sweetness and soy sauce gives them an undeniable Asian flair.
They’re the perfect side for an Asian inspired meal but these flavors are also a great complement to so many dinner basics, like roasted chicken or grilled steak. They were perfect with our beef tenderloin at Christmas and will also be a great choice when summer BBQ season is in full swing.
These are some versatile veggies!
I like to use these bagged green beans that are washed and trimmed. If you buy bulk green beans, you’ll need to be sure to rinse them and snap off the ends.
You’ll also need some chili garlic sauce, low sodium soy sauce, minced garlic (yep, I use the jarred variety from time to time), and honey.
How to Make Sweet and Spicy Asian-Style Green Beans
Transfer the green beans to a microwave safe dish and about about 1/4 cup water. Cook them in the microwave for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, just till barely tender. You don’t want them to be soft; just take the crisp off a little. You could also accomplish this task by steaming them over a pot of boiling water for a couple of minutes but I find popping them in the microwave a whole lot easier.
Transfer the green beans to paper towels and blog them dry. You don’t want to throw wet veggies into hot oil. Trust me.
Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in a good sized saute pan. Add the green beans and cook and stir for about 2 minutes.
Add 1 tablespoon of chili garlic sauce. I love this stuff.
Add 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 2 teaspoons honey, and 1 teaspoon of minced garlic. Bring the heat down a bit and continue to cook; stirring, for another 2 or 3 minutes. Be careful not to overcook. You want them fork tender but with a little bite.
Transfer the beans and all of the flavorful sauce to a serving dish and you’re ready to go.
These Asian-Style Green Beans are a tasty change from an ordinary vegetable side and a great way to wake up your dinner plate.
Sweet and Spicy Asian-Style Green Beans
- 12 ounces fresh green beans
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Place green beans in a microwave safe dish. Add 1/4 cup water and cover dish with a paper towel. Cook, covered, in microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, till barely softened. Remove green beans from the dish and blot dry with paper towels.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the green beans, and cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, garlic, and honey. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking and stirring 2 to 3 minutes, or until the green beans are fork tender. Be careful not to overcook. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Allrecipes