This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I love party food. A bunch of yummy dips and little appetizers. I wish we could eat this way more often instead of sitting down to a traditional meal. For some occasions, that’s precisely what we do here. I make up a bunch of small bites and include some more substantial items and we make a meal out of it. Grazing is fun.
I’ve been making this recipe forever and it has slowly evolved over time because almost every time I make it, I try something a little different. It’s all about your personal taste. You can customize it to your liking and it’s delicious with a variety of different ingredients.
Whole beans add nice substance to the dip and the addition of prepared salsa will make it unique each time you mix it up. You can go super spicy or completely mild. It’s up to you.
This time I used our favorite Chipotle Fire Roasted Salsa from Casa Martinez to add some really great smoky flavor. I apologize for the half empty jar; this stuff doesn’t last long in our house. I also love to make this dip with one of my other favorites – tomatillo salsa.
Tortilla chips make great dippers but there’s just something about corn chips and warm bean dip. The combo can’t be beat.
Grab a large mixing bowl and use a wooden spoon to combine the softened cream cheese, salt, garlic powder, cumin, fresh ground pepper, and salsa.
Add the rinsed and drained pinto and black beans and one can of refried beans.
In goes 1/2 cup each of shredded cheddar and pepper jack cheese. You’ll reserve the same amount of each for the topping.
Spread the bean mixture in an oven proof baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
Bake it in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes or till warmed through and bubbly at the edges.
A true crowd pleaser. A couple of cold beers or some freshly shaken margaritas won’t hurt the situation at all. Party food at it’s best!
More easy dip ideas:
Warm Cheesy Bean Dip
- 4 ounces Neufchatel reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup prepared salsa
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 16 ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 16 ounce can refried beans
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese divided
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a wooden spoon to combine cream cheese, salt, garlic powder, cumin, fresh ground pepper, and salsa in a large mixing bowl. Mix till creamy and well combined. Add all of the beans and mix till combined. Add half the shredded cheddar and pepper jack cheese and mix well. Transfer the bean mixture to a baking dish and top with remaining shredded cheese. Bake for 25 minutes or till hot and bubbly around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with chopped green onion. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes. Serve with tortilla or corn chips.