Dress up packaged long grain and wild rice with broccoli and cheese for a quick and easy, super tasty side dish.
This dish is so easy that I had to consider whether I should even share it with you all. Then I decided that is precisely why I should share it with you! Sometimes it is the simplest of ideas that just plain escape me when I’m planning my menu for the week and I have to constantly remind myself to rely on quick and easy recipes like this.
I keep my pantry stocked with packaged rice mix that I can grab at the last minute and super-charge with whatever I happen to have on hand. For this recipe you can use any packaged long grain and wild rice that you prefer (good old Uncle Ben’s will do just fine) but I’ve recently found this Farmhouse brand and I LOVE it. (This post is not sponsored by Farmhouse…I’m just a fan). There are all kinds of things you can do to rev up these packaged mixes which makes them a great pantry staple.
Start by preparing the mix according to the package directions. Use two packages, double the amounts of water and butter called for and add both seasoning packets.
Bring the mixture to a boil and then toss in a two heaping cups of roughly chopped broccoli florets. Bring the mixture to a boil again, then reduce the heat, cover the pan, and cook for about 20 minutes, or the time stated on the package.
After the cooking time, stir the broccoli and rice to fluff it up a bit.
Time for the cheese. I used a combination of sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack.
Turn the heat off and add the cheese, stirring until well combined and the cheese has melted.
This rice goes well with so many entrees – chicken, steak, pork, seafood. It’s also a delicious way to sneak some veggies in on your kids. They won’t know what hit ’em.
Broccoli Cheese Long Grain and Wild Rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-2/3 cup water or as indicated on wild rice package
- 2 4 to 6 ounce packages long grain and wild rice with seasoning packet
- 1 large or 2 small broccoli crowns coarsely chopped (2 heaping cups)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend
- Combine butter, water (use the amount indicated on your package), and both packages rice and the seasoning packets. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat. As soon as it reaches a boil, add broccoli, reduce heat to low, cover the skillet and simmer for 20 minutes or the time indicated on the package.
- Remove cover and stir in cheese. Remove from heat and stir to combine until cheese has melted.