I love a good peanut butter cookie every now and then but when it’s cooking baking time in our house, the boys always ask for chocolate chip. Always. I’m pretty sure they think a cookie’s not a cookie unless it has chocolate chips.
This cookie is my solution to our cookie conundrum. Instead of the crispy texture of a typical peanut butter cookie, they are soft and chewy and loaded with chocolate chips. They are truly the best of both worlds.
I’m skipping the step-by-step and going straight to the dough. The recipe is so straight forward you don’t need to watch me do it. I have faith in your cookie dough skills. Once you’ve got it all mixed together, let it chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Scroll down to the printable recipe for the complete instructions.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place rounded spoonfuls of chilled dough a couple of inches apart. If you shape the dough into balls you’ll end up with prettier cookies.
After baking, allow the cookies to cool for about 5 minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Even after completely cooled, these cookies have a wonderfully soft and chewy texture.
I should have called them the Magic Disappearing Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies. Make a batch. I guarantee they’ll disappear quickly.
Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or leave ungreased).
- Use an electric hand mixer to combine the softened butter and peanut butter in a large mixing bowl until smooth and creamy. Add sugars and beat for a minute or two until well incorporated. Add egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- In a separate smaller bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add the dry mixture to the peanut butter mixture in increments, beating just until combined after each addition. Use a wooden spoon to mix in chocolate chips.
- Transfer the bowl to the refrigerator and chill dough for 30 minutes.
- Scoop out a heaping tablespoon full of dough and use your fingers to form it into a ball. Place dough about 2" apart on lined or ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Adapted from verybestbaking.com
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.