This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Flaky crescent rolls filled with a sweet mascarpone and chocolate filling. These Chocolate Mascarpone Crescents are so easy to make and will remind you of a chocolate croissant from a bakery.
One of the very cool aspects of working with Allrecipes through their Brand Ambassador Program is that each month we partner with different brands and have the opportunity to try their products and recipes. This month one of those brands is Pillsbury and the product is their Pillsbury Crescent Rolls. You know, the one in the tube with that cute little doughboy on it? That’s the one.
I go way back with Pillsbury Crescent Rolls and even posted a recipe that called for them back when school started just a couple months ago. Check out my Sloppy Joe Squares if you missed them. They are yum, delish, and super kid-friendly. I had no idea at the time that I’d be working with Pillsbury recipes this month. Funny how things work isn’t it?
Even if you think of yourself as a from scratch cook, I think it’s important that some of the recipes in your collection are quick, easy, and convenient. Pillsbury has a great collection of recipes that are just that. I scanned through them all and then I saw chocolate and found no reason to look any further. The original recipe for Chocolate-Filled Crescents looked good, but I felt inclined to change it up, just a bit. So, I took a little mascarpone cheese, sweetened it up and added some vanilla extract. Just a little dab of this incredible mixture with a sprinkling of mini chocolate chips rolled inside of the crescent roll dough is all you need to create something amazing. Warm out of the oven they are absolutely heavenly and reminded us of a chocolate croissant from a high quality bakery. I’ve made two batches and they are gone baby, gone!
The best part is that from start to finish they take under 30 minutes. Warm, flaky, chocolate goodness in less than a half hour. This comes in handy when you need chocolate and you need it fast. It’s not just me, right?
The super simple grocery list – 1 tube of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls (Original or Big and Flaky), mascarpone cheese, vanilla extract, granulated sugar, mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, and a little powdered sugar for decoration.
Here’s where the magic lies. In a small bowl, combine 4 ounces mascarpone cheese, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Mix it well to combine. If you haven’t worked with mascarpone cheese before, you are going to love this stuff. It’s rich, velvety, and more elegant than plain cream cheese.
Separate the dough at the perforations into 8 triangles. Place a scant tablespoon full of the mascarpone mixture on the large end of the triangle and using your fingers, pat it to spread it out a little.
Oh yes, a note about the dough. You can use either the regular 8 ounce container or the larger rolls in the 12 ounce container. They both work and all the other measurements and ingredients remain the same.
Sprinkle some of the mini chocolate chips over the top.
Roll the crescent up, starting at the large end.
I didn’t take a picture of this next part so you’ll need to close your eyes and imagine a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Transfer the filled crescent rolls to the prepared baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or till lightly golden brown.
Don’t fret if some of the filling oozes out during the baking process. Just be sure to remove the rolls from the parchment paper within a minute or two of coming out of the oven so if there is any filling on the paper, it won’t adhere to the crescent roll. We want pretty rolls.
Sprinkle the baked rolls with a little powdered sugar and serve. They are absolutely delicious warm from the oven!
These are a fabulous addition to a breakfast buffet, perfect for dessert, and even better for a midnight snack.
Chocolate Mascarpone Crescents
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounce container Pillsbury Crescent Roll dough
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the mascarpone cheese, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Mix until well combined, smooth, and creamy. Set aside
- Remove crescent roll dough from package, unroll, and separate into 8 triangles. Place a scant tablespoon full of the mascarpone cheese mixture on the large end of the triangle and pat down with your fingers, spreading out a little. Sprinkle some of the mini chocolate chips over the cheese mixture. Beginning at large end that has cheese and chocolate chips on it, gently roll the crescent roll dough towards the pointed end. Transfer rolled crescent to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Bake for 15 minutes or till lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
Products received from advertiser are only used for experienced-based reviews on Valerie’s Kitchen. The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are purely the sole opinions of Valerie.