These Chocolate Crescent Rolls are so easy to make and will remind you of a chocolate croissant from a bakery. Store-bought crescent rolls are baked with a sweet mascarpone and chocolate filling to create these irresistible pastries.
The concept of stuffing crescent roll dough with chocolate chips may not be revolutionary, but these Chocolate Crescent Rolls take this idea and turn it into something really special. A smear of sweetened mascarpone cheese does wonders to add a luxurious layer of flavor that makes it impossible to believe that they’re made with a canister of store-bought crescent roll dough. Warm out of the oven they are absolutely heavenly and remind us of a chocolate croissant from a high quality bakery.
The best part is that from start to finish they take under 30 minutes. Warm, flaky, chocolatey goodness in less than a half hour. This comes in handy when you need chocolate and you need it fast. A frequent occurrence around these parts!
Easy Chocolate Filled Crescents
Even if you think of yourself as a from scratch cook, I think it’s important that some of the recipes in your collection are quick, easy, and convenient. There is no shame in taking shortcuts now and then. This is a great recipe to make with the kids and they will feel proud of how amazing they turn out!
These easy chocolate crescents are a fabulous addition to a brunch buffet, perfect for dessert, and even better for a midnight snack.
- Mascarpone cheese – Mascarpone is similar to cream cheese but it’s a bit richer and absolutely delicious. Look for it in your store’s deli/cheese section. You could substitute softened cream cheese, if you’d like.
- Granulated sugar
- Pure vanilla extract
- Crescent roll dough – I use an 8-ounce canister of Pillsbury Original Crescent Rolls. The larger rolls in the 12-ounce container will also work and all the other measurements and ingredients remain the same.
- Mini semisweet chocolate chips – For quick melting.
- Powdered sugar – For sprinkling on the baked chocolate filled crescents.
How to Make Easy Chocolate Crescent Rolls
This is a quick overview of the steps of this recipe. You’ll find detailed instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Combine the mascarpone cheese, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Place a scant tablespoon full of the mascarpone cheese mixture on the large end of each crescent roll and spread it out.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips over the mascarpone mixture.
- Beginning at large end, gently roll the crescent roll dough towards the pointed end. Bake until lightly golden brown.
Tips for Success
- For the best result, use mini chocolate chips which melt faster than regular chocolate chips.
- Don’t be tempted to stuff the rolls with too much filling. Just shy of 1 tablespoon of the mascarpone mixture is best.
- Use parchment paper for easy cleanup and the prettiest rolls. If some of the filling oozes out during the baking process, remove the rolls from the parchment paper within a minute or two of coming out of the oven and the excess filling will stick to the parchment paper, not the crescent rolls.
Transfer leftover Chocolate Crescent Rolls to a zippered plastic storage bag and refrigerate for up to one week. Reheat briefly in a toaster oven or microwave oven.
Easy Chocolate Crescent Rolls
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese, or softened cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounce container Pillsbury Crescent Roll dough, (8-count)
- ½ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- powdered sugar, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the mascarpone cheese, granulated sugar, and the vanilla extract. Mix until well combined, smooth, and creamy. Set aside
- Remove the crescent roll dough from the canister, unroll, and separate at the seams into 8 triangles. Place a scant tablespoon of the mascarpone cheese mixture on the large end of the triangle and pat down with your fingers or a butter knife, spreading out a little. Sprinkle some of the mini chocolate chips over the cheese mixture. Beginning at large end, gently roll the crescent roll dough towards the pointed end. Transfer it to the prepared baking sheet and gently shape it in a crescent shape. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, remove from the baking sheet, and serve warm.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.
This post was originally published October 15, 2012. It has been updated with new text and images.