This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Add some interest to your next Asian or Indian-inspired entree and serve it with Coconut Rice with Cilantro and Lime. Your taste buds will thank you.
I’ve become slightly obsessed with Coconut Rice recently. I made a salmon dish over the weekend and served it atop this lovely rice and good-gosh-almighty, it was heavenly. I’ll be sharing the salmon recipe with you just as soon as I can get the photos edited and pulled into a post but I’m starting with this rice. Stayed tuned for the salmon – it’s a good one.
If you’ve never had rice prepared this way, let me break it down for you. Jasmine rice is cooked in unsweetened coconut milk which infuses it with a fragrant, mild coconut flavor. There is typically a bit of sugar involved but after that, there are all kinds of variations out there. I like to add cilantro and lime to mine to boost and brighten the flavor and add some color contrast.
Coconut Rice is an excellent choice to go along with pretty much any Asian entree or even simply grilled chicken, fish, or beef. It is also delicious with Indian dishes, especially curries.
Two important components of this recipe – Jasmine rice and unsweetened coconut milk. You’ll need a 12″ skillet with a cover like this one from Calphalon.
I’m skipping the step by step because it’s nearly as simple as cooking regular rice and all the details you need are included on the printable recipe at the end of the post. You can totally handle it on your own. Promise
Once the rice is cooked, pull it from the stove and add some fresh, chopped cilantro and the juice from a lime.
Coconut Rice with Cilantro and Lime is a sensory experience. The fragrance is delightful and the taste is even better.
I hope you’ll try it!
Coconut Rice with Cilantro and Lime
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups Jasmine rice
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- dash of salt, or to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime juiced
- Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium heat. Add sugar and stir for a minute or until dissolved. Add rice and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted. Add coconut milk, water, and a dash of salt. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove rice from heat and stir and fluff the rice. Stir in the lime juice and cilantro and serve.