Easily stocked ingredients make this Fast and Easy Cherry Crisp a dessert that can be pulled together on a whim. Perfect for a spontaneous gathering or a last minute dessert anytime the craving strikes!
I’m continuing along on my sudden and unexplainable summer dessert binge today with this fabulous recipe that has been part of my recipe collection for a very, very long time.
While I love baking with fresh cherries, this recipe was specifically designed to be a go-to, last minute, folks-are-heading-over-and-what-the-heck-am-I-going-to-make-them-for dessert recipe. It’s important for every home cook to have a few recipes like this at their disposal and this one has been a real life-saver for me many a time.
Frozen cherries thaw quickly in the refrigerator and mix up beautifully, juices and all, to create this old-fashioned dessert that works all year long. No need to wait for cherry season to enjoy this cherry dessert.
It’s also incredibly fast since you get to skip the monotonous task of pitting mounds of cherries.
I buy my bagged, frozen cherries at Safeway but they are widely available elsewhere. Check the size as it may differ from the 12 ounce bag used in this recipe.
What’s up with all these videos???
If you’ve followed Valerie’s Kitchen for any amount of time you might have noticed some recent changes around here. Instead of the usual step-by-step process photos you are used to seeing in many of my posts, I’ve been including a short video like the one below that is also being shared on my Facebook Page.
If you are a Facebook user, I’m sure you’ve noticed this trend. There is a significant reason why most of us food bloggers have jumped on the video bandwagon. Basically, the folks at Facebook decided video was the type of content people want to see and therefore, it’s pretty much the only type of content that gets any notice anymore. I have to admit that in the beginning, many of us were shaking our fists at Facebook for this algorithm change but I’m fully embracing it now and we are having all kinds of fun creating these short videos for you all. I’ve brought on my son, Jake, as my Video Assistant and Editor, and we are creating one new video per week. So, thank you Mark Zuckerburg, for lighting a fire under me to learn this new skill set and helping to push this site in a direction I hadn’t seen coming.
It would be delicious with a scoop of freshly whipped cream, however, for us it’s all about the big scoop of vanilla ice cream over a mound of warm Cherry Crisp. It just doesn’t get much better than that. Especially in the summer months.
Fast and Easy Cherry Crisp
- 36 ounces frozen dark cherries, no sugar added (thawed), (3 12-ounce bags)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ¾ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sliced almonds, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter, cut into 1-inch slices
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, toss cherries with lemon juice and vanilla. Add white sugar and ¼ cup flour and stir to combine. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining 1 ¼ cups flour, oats, brown sugar, ¼ cup sliced almonds, and salt. Work in the butter with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over the fruit. Sprinkle with remaining almonds.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until topping is golden brown.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.