This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This classic recipe is a great choice for your holiday ham leftovers. Ham Salad is delicious served on slider buns or crackers.
Egg Salad on steroids. That is how I feel about Ham Salad.
It’s basically a kicked up, meaty version of egg salad with a little sweet pickle relish to boot. The ham adds a smoky, salty element that pumps up the flavor factor in a big way.
Now, if you’re not a fan of sweet pickles you can absolutely sub dill pickle relish but ham salad without any pickle relish is just not ham salad. Period.
I also like to add some diced red bell pepper for color contrast and even more flavor.
This recipe is an excellent choice following Easter or any ham holiday. I almost always grossly overestimate the size ham I need so leftover ham recipes are an important part of my recipe collection.
Once you combine the dressing ingredients, it’s just a quick toss with the salad ingredients and you’re good to go. It will keep well in the refrigerator for several days.
A quick note on the ham. If you are working with your holiday ham that had a delicious, sweet glaze, it’s best to give the meat a rinse under cool water and pat it dry before proceeding with the recipe. While delicious at last night’s dinner, the glaze will not add anything to this recipe.
Some folks prefer the consistency of a ham salad spread and will use ground ham, but I prefer the texture of finely chopped ham. See the recipe card below for the options.
It is wonderful served on Hawaiian buns and since I’m crazy ’bout those pickles, I like to add a couple of bread and butter pickles to mine.
More awesome leftover ham recipes:
- 3 cups finely diced or ground ham about 3/4 pound - use food processor to process if ground ham is preferred
- 2 hard-boiled eggs chopped
- 1/4 cup finely diced celery
- 1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely diced or grated white onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Add diced or ground ham, chopped eggs, celery, and bell pepper to a large mixing bowl.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a small mixing bowl and stir to combine well. Pour over the ham mixture and toss to incorporate dressing throughout.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Stays fresh and delicious for several days.
- Serve on slider rolls with mayo, bread and butter pickles, and lettuce. Also delicious on crackers, especially if using ground ham (see recipe note).