This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Greek yogurt lends a wonderful texture to these big, beautiful Spectacular Blueberry Muffins. The recipe bakes a perfect dozen.
Spectacular is a big word and I’m not just throwing it around willy nilly. These muffins are big, beautiful, and spectacular. I shared a picture of a recent batch of them on my Facebook page and the response was pretty overwhelming. I got the message loud and clear. You want your blueberry muffins! I’m here to deliver.
If you don’t want to dilly dally (I just managed to use willy nilly and dilly dally in one post), feel free to scroll down to the bottom of this post to go straight to the recipe. On the other hand, if you’d like to gaze at lots of pictures of beautiful muffins, stay with me.
The secret to this no-fail recipe is non-fat plain Greek yogurt. I’ve been a bit obsessed with this ingredient lately, and for good reason.It can be used in so many ways and when you use it in baked goods it adds great richness and wonderful texture. I want to mention that I have done these with light sour cream in place of the Greek yogurt with a good result. Don’t hesitate to use a combination of the two if you are running low on one or the other.
So let’s get to work and bake up some big, beautiful, spectacular muffins!
Grab a great big mixing bowl and your electric hand mixer. Beat the 2 eggs with 1 cup of sugar for a couple of minutes.
With the beaters running, pour in 1/2 cup of vegetable oil. Continue to beat until well combined.
One teaspoon of yummy vanilla extract goes in next.
Now, go grab another not so big mixing bowl and a wooden spoon. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
Add about a third of the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir with the wooden spoon to combine.
Now, add about a third of the Greek yogurt. Continue adding the dry mixture, alternating with the Greek yogurt, until the entire amounts have been added and combined well.
Rinsed, drained, happy, fresh blueberries. You could substitute frozen blueberries but please, for the love of all things sacred, use fresh if you can get ’em.
Add those beautiful berries to the batter.
Gently combine with the wooden spoon. Gently please.
Divide the batter between the cups of a 12 cup muffin pan that has been coated with non-stick cooking spray.
This bit is optional but I like to sprinkle a little white sugar over the top of each muffin. It adds a little sparkle, a touch of additional sweetness, and it will make you feel special.
Bake at 400 degrees for about 18 to 20 minutes or until they are absolutely stunning. Remove them from the oven.
Allow them to cool in the muffin pan for about 15 minutes and then carefully remove them to cool completely. Or, cut them in half while still warm, slather them with butter, and go for it! Just being real here.
Now, go bake some of your own!
Spectacular Blueberry Muffins
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt (can substitute light sour cream)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries , rinsed and drained
- 3 teaspoons coarse sparkling sugar or as needed (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In large bowl beat eggs with an electric hand mixer. Add 1 cup white sugar and beat for a minute or two until completely combined. Pour in the oil, with beaters running, and then add vanilla. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, salt and baking soda.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix flour mixture into wet mixture, a little at a time, alternating with the Greek yogurt.
- Add the blueberries and mix with the wooden spoon just until combined. Divide the batter between the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle muffin tops with a light coating of coarse sparkling sugar, if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow muffins to cool for about 10 or 15 minutes and then carefully remove from tin to cool completely. Store leftovers in an airtight container.