This recipe for Crock-Pot Tex-Mex Chicken creates tender, flavorful shredded chicken with black beans and corn. Serve it over rice or wrapped in tortillas with your favorite toppings for a satisfying weeknight dinner.
The inspiration for this recipe came from my Crock-Pot Chicken Tacos but with a delicious Southwest twist.
This easy Southwest-inspired chicken recipe is totally in order on busy days when I have a house full.
It’s wholesome, substantial, and it makes a good amount which means leftovers! Leftovers are always a bonus in my book and Crock-Pot Tex-Mex Chicken reheats beautifully.
Table of contents
- Easy Prep – This mostly hands-off recipe requires just 5 minutes of prep.
- Simple Ingredients – The short ingredient list includes easy to stock items like canned goods and frozen corn.
- Versatile – Use this chicken for everything from burrito bowls, to tacos, or nachos.
- Freezer-Friendly – Freeze leftovers for an easy future meal.
- Chicken – Fully thawed boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You should not use frozen chicken in slow cooker recipes for food safety concerns and to avoid a watery result.
- Taco seasoning – I highly recommend making your own Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix. A store-bought blend will work, but the flavor of homemade seasoning is so much better.
- Canned goods – A can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes, black beans, and diced green chiles.
- Corn – I love using frozen corn in recipes like this. I always have it in my freezer and there is no need to thaw it in advance.
- Fresh vegetables – Diced white or yellow onion and red bell pepper.
How to Make Crock-Pot Tex-Mex Chicken
- Add Ingredients – Place the chicken in your slow cooker and sprinkle it with the taco seasoning. Add the tomatoes, green chiles, bell pepper, and onion. Reserve the beans and corn for later.
- First Cook – Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours, or until chicken is fork tender and easy to shred.
- Shred/Add Beans and Corn– Use two forks to shred the chicken into the cooking liquid. Stir in the black beans and corn.
- Final Cook – Cover, and cook for an additional 30 minutes or until the corn and beans are warmed through.
Canned beans can take on an undesirable texture if you cook them for an extended time in a slow cooker. This is why I add the beans and frozen corn after the initial cooking time and continue to cook just until they are warmed through.
- Burrito Bowls – My favorite way to serve this Tex-Mex Chicken is piled on top of Cilantro Lime Rice with a little cheese, avocado, cilantro, and sour cream.
- Tacos or Burritos – Tuck it inside lightly toasted flour tortillas or fried corn tortillas with your favorite toppings.
- Nachos – Scatter tortilla chips over a baking sheet and top them with Tex-Mex Chicken and plenty of shredded cheese. Pop the baking sheet under the broiler until the cheese melts then top your nachos with toppings like my easy Blender Salsa, guacamole sour cream, and pickled jalapeno rings.
- Refrigerate – Transfer leftovers to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Leftovers reheat really well in the microwave or in a pot on the stove over low heat.
- Freeze – For longer storage, place leftovers in a freezer-safe plastic storage bag, press out as much air as possible and seal the bag. Label with the date and freeze it for up to 3 months. Thaw completely in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
More Easy Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Green Chile Beef
- Carnitas (Slow Cooker or Oven)
- Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Pork with Beans
- Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas
- Crock-Pot Chile Verde
Crock-Pot Tex-Mex Chicken
- 2¼ to 2½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, 3 to 4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
- ½ cup diced white or yellow onion
- 14.5 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles, undrained
- 15.5 ounce can black beans, drained
- 1½ cups frozen corn, (don't thaw)
Optional Ingredients (For Serving)
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Avocado, sour cream, cheese, salsa, cilantro
- Place the chicken in your slow cooker and sprinkle it with the taco seasoning. Add the tomatoes, green chiles, bell pepper, and onion. Reserve the beans and corn for later.
- Cook on LOW for 6 to 7 hours or HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, or until the chicken is fork tender and easy to shred.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken into the cooking liquid. Stir in the black beans and corn. Cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes or until the corn and beans are warmed through.
- Serve over rice or as taco or burrito filling.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.
This post was originally published on August 17, 2014. It has been updated with new text and images.