These flavorful Southwest Turkey Taco Bowls are a delicious way to lighten up your menu and you won’t believe how quick and easy they are to prepare!
I do a lot of Mexican and Southwest-inspired meals around here. The good stuff. Tacos, burritos, enchiladas. There is typically one common denominator in these meals and that my friends, is cheese! And, plenty of it.
This recipe came about in my attempt to create a dish including the flavors we love that would not break the calorie bank. And, it had to be fast and easy enough for me to include on my menu on even the busiest of days.
These Southwest Turkey Taco Bowls hit the mark. I want you to try them! They are so incredibly simple to put together and can be modified to suit your taste by adding additional veggies or different toppings. This mixture is also delicious rolled into tortillas.
I spooned this incredible mixture over my new love, brown basmati rice. I highly recommend you grab some on your next shopping trip and give it a try. It has wonderful texture and adds a nice serving of whole grains to your meal. I’ve been using it in place of white rice in almost every recipe these days.
More Easy Mexican-Inspired Recipes
- Easy Ground Beef Tacos
- Turkey Tacos
- Chicken Tortilla Casserole with Salsa Verde
- Chicken and Veggie Baked Tostadas
- Turkey Black Bean Enchilada Bake
Take a gander at the quick video in the recipe card below to see for yourself how easy these are to put together.
Southwest Turkey Taco Bowls
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 ½ cups brown basmati rice
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
- ½ medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix, or store-bought
- 10 ounces Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies, (I used mild)
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup frozen corn, no need to thaw
- 1 recipe Cilantro Lime Rice
- cilantro, sour cream, avocado, hot sauce
- Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to a 12-inch skillet that has a cover and place over MEDIUM heat. Add rice and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Add chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover the skillet and simmer until all the broth has been absorbed and rice is tender, approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add remaining vegetable oil to a separate 12-inch skillet and place over MEDIUM heat. Add ground turkey and bell pepper. Cook, stirring to break up the ground turkey, until turkey is thoroughly cooked. Drain excess grease from skillet and return to the heat. Add taco seasoning and Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes. Reduce heat to LOW, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add black beans and frozen corn. Cover and simmer for about 5 more minutes, or until rice is cooked.
- Serve over Cilantro Lime Rice with cilantro, sour cream, avocado, and hot sauce.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.